Clutch gear questions/comments?

GoldenMotor.com

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
So I've been trying to rework my flower nut assembly to fix the defective original threads but I'm wondering now about the clutch gear and all the little ball bearings. They're completely dry from the factory. Since the gear spins on them at idle (1500-2000 rpm or whatever your idle is set at) when you're in 'neutral' at a stop light aren't those darn things gonna get worn out in a jiffy with no lube? BUT if you lube them up with a few drops of oil for example, since there isn't a little guard or seal isn't there a high chance the lube/oil might fly off at speed right onto the sides of the clutch packs and the clutch plate making for a slipping clutch?

Sooo, do you guys run these things dry or do you lube them somewhat?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
wonder if dry door lock grafite would help,I perfer a rubbed in surface coating of silver anti-seize ,not a bunch like you would w/grease but rubbed into the metal like a thin coat of paint and the excess removed

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
wonder if dry door lock grafite would help,I perfer a rubbed in surface coating of silver anti-seize ,not a bunch like you would w/grease but rubbed into the metal like a thin coat of paint and the excess removed
I haven't even thought of that. Both of those sound like good ideas Corgi. I think I'd prefer the graphite I think because I found the silver anti-seize dries out over time. However either way you'd still have the problem of access of getting the graphite or anti-seize onto the balls. The cage that the bearings are set in is apparently press fitted together. I think Norm in his engine teardown post took one apart and all the little balls fell out and he said he had a heck of a time trying to put the thing together again. With a drop or two of oil the oil would simply work itself onto the balls but would probably contaminate the clutch as well.