pull start for 2 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
Wondering if anyone has purchased a pull start for the china girls, I see them on E Bay store luckyearlybird, this guy has all kinds of stuff, I just purchased a no name 2 stroke from him that has a heat reflector on the muffler, 415 chain, upgraded throttle, looks like all the other parts are same as everywhere else. His prices were alot cheaper than the other venders. As you may have noticed these engines are getting a bit more expensive, could be supply and demand, starting to see the china girls more and more around town, just sold my latest build for $500 This will be my forth build, 48 cc Grubee, 66 cc Raw, and a 4 stroke from Terri Blow, luckyearlybird is selling these starters for $25 plus $8.50 shipping. Think im going to order one, was wondering about the clearance with pedal hitting the case of pull start, seems to stick out about an inch or two farther than the stock magneto cover. Well give me a week or so and I will let you know how it all comes together. No name engine, pull start, rat bike. 80 CCs of raw power baby yaaa.zpt

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
The peddals will not clear, and you will need to either/or raise engine higher, get short peddal cranks or wide peddal crank kit.
I raised my engine and i replaced my 8" peddal cranks with 5" ones.

Pull starting the engine was nice but was not worth the extra work.

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
thanks for the info, so whats the deal with pull starter? Do you pull in clutch and lock it in, or do you have to get wheels off the ground, is this a simple bolt on item or is there shimming involved. Almost wish I had not ordered one, had a feeling it might be a clearance issue

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I use a piece to tire tubing that's cut to about an inch wide. It stays on the handle and when I need it for the clutch, I stretch it out and catch the clutch handle with it, which keeps it compressed.

The pull start is great for the most part....too bad they're not made in the US.
If you don't have wide cranks, you can do what I did and that was to heat them up and bend them out a bit.

Next, they make two kinds now. The first ones (a little cheaper) have a plastic pawl (spinner-catcher thingy) which is know to break after awhile, but this too can be upgraded with some DIY ingenuity. Also, another thing to "fix" is the plastic rope guide on it. This will pop out and your rope will shred on that exposed metal hole. Once again..some DIY ingenuity can fix this as well.

The new upgraded ones have a steel cable instead of rope. It also has more metal on the inside of it (most likely pot metal) and does look a lot better. I do have one of these, but have yet to use it so I can't make a judgment call for it.

Because these are made in China, you can almost expect to fix them up a bit. In some respects, I would say to buy two of them. Hope this helps.

.wee.

Last edited:

pj-pirate

Mar 17, 2010
So Calif
I got my pull start from Pirates and it required a little work to fit my motor. The inside hub had to be clearanced from the magneto field windings,but no problem. Just take a dremel with a sanding drum and take off the spots that hit the field screws. Only other prob was the starter rope---re-tie the end with a larger knot otherwise you tear it apart for the end! Mine has lasted 6 months so far with riding it at least twice a day.

Last edited:

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Just a follow up with some pictures. What pj-pirate mentioned is also something that must be dealt with. Posted below are pics that may be more helpful. The second one is the pawl that I made to replace the plastic one, which was made with two large washers fitted together with some pins out of an old weed whacker.

Attachments

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
Well mounted up the no name engine and heavy pull start, engine started in about 25 feet, nice and smooth,as far as the pull start, it lasted 4 pulls and the cable would not rewind, tried to take it apart but the spring steel went flying, trying to get a refund or replacement, hopeing the second one wont have a problem. Had to heat up the crank and bend it about 3/4 inch to clear. Used a propane torch, was a little slow but worked. Had no clearance problem with pull start internals.

Last edited:

pj-pirate

Mar 17, 2010
So Calif
Had the same result with my first pull start. I took it off and shot a spooge of chain oil in the assembly without taking it apart. So far it still works using it 3-4 times a day for the last 6 months

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Hi hiker472

Do you have any photos of the upgraded pull start with wire rope assembly and better internal components.

Fabian

Sorry, Fabian but I don't. Currently it's at my other house, but what I can tell you is that instead of having a plastic housing for the rope and the spring, it looks like it's a type of pot-metal. It does have two pawls that are just like in a weed whacker or a chainsaw though, so it has also a different thing to mount to the engine. I'll see about going to get it in a few days and post some pics of it.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Well mounted up the no name engine and heavy pull start, engine started in about 25 feet, nice and smooth,as far as the pull start, it lasted 4 pulls and the cable would not rewind, tried to take it apart but the spring steel went flying, trying to get a refund or replacement, hopeing the second one wont have a problem. Had to heat up the crank and bend it about 3/4 inch to clear. Used a propane torch, was a little slow but worked. Had no clearance problem with pull start internals.
I wish I can count the times that I wound that spring back up! I have already installed a new one out of an old weed whacker. The second one, I bent just so, that when and if I need to pop that thing off, it will all hold together.

Another thing that broke on mine was that little metal nub that the spring pulls on when it's turning. I ended up putting a screw in that screws into a little brass thing that I ground down enough so it'd be small enough and jb welded it up......that won't break again.

You got the heavy duty pull start, eh? If you have it a part, can you post pics on the way they have that steel rope set up?

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
Put a pull starter on my bike for the ease off starting , with the shift kit its to hard to pedal start. Love the pull start,works great! Got it at Piston Bikes,did some tweaking to it ,and got an offset bottom bracket to clear starter case. LOve this stuff!