oil dripping from exhaust flange?

GoldenMotor.com

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
What tips and tricks do you all have to keep the oil from dripping out past the seal between the exhaust flange and the cylinder?

Thanks,
Pat

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
Hi Patr1ck

I've said this before: be thankful you have thick black sludge and filthy; dirty, grimey noxious goo dripping out from every orifice of your engine onto your shoes and clothes - the day it runs clean is the day when you'll be walking all the way home.

Fabian

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What tips and tricks do you all have to keep the oil from dripping out past the seal between the exhaust flange and the cylinder?

Thanks,
Pat
This tells you the exhaust manifold gasket is leaking. Remove the exhaust pipe/muffler and clean the gasket surfaces well. Check that the surfaces are flat by sanding lightly with a block of wood or metal wrapped with sandpaper. Gasket material is available from auto parts stores in sheets. You can make your own gasket. I've found that a gasket about 1/8th" thick works well. I'm not a fan of studs and nuts so I replace them with Allen head cap screws. If you have a 2 stroke engine the bolts will be 6mmX1 thread and about 20mm long if you use the thicker gasket. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Tom

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
rotfl

Ummm, i think it's a bit more than that and typically indicative about these 2-stroke engines with a few thousand miles on them.

My engine leaks black tar like mud from the cylinder head gasket and from the cylinder base gasket not to mention the case gasket. These gaskets leak far more greasy bituminous like filth and oozing, weeping goo than the exhaust gasket ever could.

Forget trying to maintain a spotless appearance with these woefully bad engines that make your shoes and jeans look like you've been working under a steam engine, oiling up the under carriage.
Having said that, they are far more reliable than they ought to be, for the muck and gunk that leaks from their sealing surfaces in an almost terminal fashion.

Fabian

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
This tells you the exhaust manifold gasket is leaking. Remove the exhaust pipe/muffler and clean the gasket surfaces well. Check that the surfaces are flat by sanding lightly with a block of wood or metal wrapped with sandpaper. Gasket material is available from auto parts stores in sheets. You can make your own gasket. I've found that a gasket about 1/8th" thick works well. I'm not a fan of studs and nuts so I replace them with Allen head cap screws. If you have a 2 stroke engine the bolts will be 6mmX1 thread and about 20mm long if you use the thicker gasket. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Tom
What gasket material do you use? Is there one made specifically for exhaust?

Pat

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What gasket material do you use? Is there one made specifically for exhaust?

Pat
Tell the counter man at the auto parts store that it is for exhaust. He'll steer you in the right direction. Small engine repair/lawn mower shops and motorcycle shops would also be a source for the proper gasket material.
Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
as 2door says, make sure the mating surfaces are flat and smooth. i got a new kit and the exhaust flange hole was made out of weld. they musta burnt the hole off welding the pipe off, then tried to cover it up with paint. that exhaust is completely useless. i can't clean it up at all, so it's in the trash.

and, buy the way, my motor's clean and shiny, no drips, oil puddles, or anything, and it runs like a champ. a chinese ping pong champ.

ailgup

Jul 9, 2009
USA
i am getting a similar thing happening to my bike except it is occationally dripping out the bottom of the exhaust. often after i don;t run it for a few days.does anyone know what should i do about this???

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
i am getting a similar thing happening to my bike except it is occationally dripping out the bottom of the exhaust. often after i don;t run it for a few days.does anyone know what should i do about this???
If what you mean by "the bottom of the exhaust" you're talking about the muffler; that is normal. 2 stroke engines rely on the oil in the fuel mix for lubrication. The oil, for the most part, is not burned or consumed so some residue showing at the exit of the exhaust is to be expected. Those running the synthetics and Opti-2 at 100:1 are the exception. There is so little oil that there isn't much left after combustion to drip from the muffler.
Tom