Gas pouring out of bottom of air filter. Help.

GoldenMotor.com

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
Finally finished tinkering with everything and tuned up after about a week. Re-did the clutch setup and put new clamps on my fuel line thinking that was it. Took her up to 30mph for the second time and she was purring. Ran her for about 15 min and went to my girlfriends right up the road. Later that night riding it back gas was leaking heavily from either air filter/carb area and dripping off the bottom of the air filter. Any ideas? Thanks. Any info appreciated.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Is there a filter on the way to the carb. Sounds like either the float is leaking gas into it or something is stuck in the little fuel inlet valve.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I'm going to guess that, since you were riding it during this fuel splash episode, the leak is external.

If the carb had over-filled, the engine would have flooded...and no more go!

Check the petcock seal at the tank.

Check the fuel line from the tank petcock to the carb...Is it brittle? Is it loose? Fuel will run downhill leaving you to believe that you have a leak at the carb.

Jim

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
I'm going to guess that, since you were riding it during this fuel splash episode, the leak is external.

If the carb had over-filled, the engine would have flooded...and no more go!

Check the petcock seal at the tank.

Check the fuel line from the tank petcock to the carb...Is it brittle? Is it loose? Fuel will run downhill leaving you to believe that you have a leak at the carb.

Jim
Exactly Jim. Also had this experience. I thought it was the carbs leaking. I found out it was the fuel line that is brittle.

BTW...its been long time since we spoke...Jim. Regards to you and Karen.

Ron

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
I had that problem at first. When I got the new hose clamps and fuel line it solved that problem. It's definately sealed. This was coming out of the air filter. I took it off yesterday and it was so simply made. I thought to myself "why wouldn't fuel come leaking out this way." it's open just like the other side is that leads to the engine. I just figured when the engine is running it's sucking in fuel and air keeping the fuel from dripping out the other way. But like every other post I made I think I found the answer on someone elses old thread. They're saying it's the float in the carb.I guess there's something I'm not seeing tht floats to shut off fuel when the carb gets full. (?maybe?) They say it can clog or get stuck and I think mine is just the latter. If I find out how to make a link I will.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mo,
Yes, there is a small plastic float inside the carburetor. It is shaped like a little white donut. It floats on the fuel and presses upward on a needle valve which shuts off the flow of fuel into the carb when the bowl is full. As the engine consumes fuel and the level drops the float lowers and allows more fuel to enter. That's an over simplification of the process but essentially that's how it works. If something like a small piece of dirt or crud gets in the way of the needle valve fuel will flow continously causing a flooding condition which usually results in a fuel leak from the carburetor. An out-of-adjustment float level will cause the same thing. A float that has a crack in it and fills with fuel will also cause flooding. You'll need to remove the bowl from the carb to check the float, float level and needle valve. Be careful and don't loose the small parts that you're going to find. Check this and get back to us.
Tom

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
So my float is completely full of gas. It's got a tiny crack somewhere on the inside of the inner ring. Any ideas? Think I might drill a tiny hole to get all the gas out the try and seal it with something. An ideas of sealants appreciated. Thanks guys.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
best bet is to get a new float. i tried repairing one with the same problem, but i couldn't even find the leak.

but if it works for ya, let us know what you used.

oh, there's an epoxy type product called "Seal all" that i got from Ace hardware that is gas and oil resistant. it's a little tube, probably in the silicon isle at the store.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
So my float is completely full of gas. It's got a tiny crack somewhere on the inside of the inner ring. Any ideas? Think I might drill a tiny hole to get all the gas out the try and seal it with something. An ideas of sealants appreciated. Thanks guys.
Mo,
I've had good luck with this product when it comes to being compatible with gasoline. Seal-All Contact and Sealant Adhesive 1109.
It might get you back on the road until you can order a new float. thatsdax has them. http://thatsdax.com/ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_4.html
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

ailgup

Jul 9, 2009
USA
this was happening to me after i stored it in the winter in my garage stupidly with some gas still in the tank. I just took off the black plastic piece on the card cleaned out the carb, removed the gas from the black spounge stuff and then started it up it worked great. no more leaks.

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
I found an epoxy resin product called "jb weld" that's supposed to hold up. I just put a nice layer on the entire inner circle, over the two holes I drilled, and along the entire seam where the plastic was joined. Will keep you guys posted if that does the trick. Might have the same problem as bairdco cause I had trouble finding the leak. I could see the area where gas fumes would pour out onto the plastic but as far as getting the gas out it was next to impossible. Hence the two holes drilled. Tried to just get a nice thin coat and the jb weld seamed to do that. It takes a while to harden so after you spread it on it kinda settles and gets a nice even shiny coat. Test run tomorrow. Still would like to order a new one so thanks 2door for the tip on that's Dax

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You're welcome, Mo. The added weight of the epoxy might effect the float's ability to...well...float. So keep that in mind. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Tom