Rebuilding the kit, storage options, etc

GoldenMotor.com

Hauzer

Oct 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Hi all, it's been a while since I posted here. I've decided to rebuild the kit, which is about 80% complete already. Once you build one without good instructions, you never forget how lol! That Chinese kit manual was awful.

The idea is to test the engine, make sure I have all the parts, and then carefully select a new bike to mount it on. It will fit on the current bike, but just barely. I'd at least have to do some cutting on the frame to secure the motor better... and TBH I'd rather mount it on a Cruiser anyway.

Interestingly, I found a local motorized bike rider on c-list, though he was selling his. I tried emailing the guy to ask about his experiences riding it. (mainly how to deal with cops)

Beyond just saying hello, I'd like to ask how some of you store your bikes. Last time I tried keeping it inside because it was getting cold but the fumes really messed me up and I had to use the neighbor's inhaler! At the time I lived in an apartment. Now I live in a house with a yard, so I have options for storing things. I'm thinking of building a shelter out of wood scraps and tarp to keep it from getting wet... though I'm not sure if water would really affect it or not. I do know the cold can be pretty hard on rubber, and for that what do the rest of you do?

Hauzer

Oct 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
lol, melting.

Guess I'll be doing that then! It really is nice to have a yard. I don't want to ever have to live in an apartment, it's so limiting.

I also have a 1983 Volvo in the yard. It'll be my first car once I get it fixed by a mechanic - but that's for another forum!

UKtheBUNNY

Aug 11, 2009
how to deal with cops
I'm the guy Hauzer was referring to.

In Arkansas the rule is 49cc and below no license needed.
Pedals then it's motor assisted bicycle regardless of engine size.
No transmission not technically a motorcycle.

If you have a sticker stating what size the engine is then take it off. If the ask say 49cc. If all else fails say you have asthma and can't pedal on your own.

UKtheBUNNY

Hauzer

Oct 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Thanks UKtheBUNNY, I was thinking it's was like that. A shame they limit us to just 49cc, you really can't go much faster on a 70cc.. kinda makes me wish I had bought a smaller one.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i store my bike in my livingroom. I close the choke on the carb and turn petcock off.
i rubber band a piece of plastic bag over gas cap and around airfilter and little to no gas smell in apartment. i just have to remember to take these bags off before riding bike and to put back on when bringing bike inside.i dont put a bag over muffler(its too hot) but you could also use a plug on the end,but theres not much smell out of the muffler anyway. and for the cops,i just pretend to peddal and go slow when there around and they think i on a regualar bike.

Hauzer

Oct 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Well the chain snapped at the removable link, and now I can't do anything about it for a little while. No time, no money.

I won't bother with this without the new bike.

UKtheBunny, need some gas?

Hauzer

Oct 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Just got a new used bike at the thrift store. $50 for a Murray mountain bike.

It's a perfect fit. The motor is on there tight! Some parts are still missing, but I'm moving in the right direction.

Update: I just ordered a few small parts that I needed.

414 master link (old one was lost in the grass)
new grips and throttle (the Chinese grips suck)
new throttle housing w/ kill-switch (The old kill switch broke first, then the throttle housing...)
Bike chain tool

Can't wait to get these in the mail.

Last edited:

Hauzer

Oct 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I'd have finished this earlier, but time was limited.

It's running now. The new bike is an excellent fit. It's much better than the old bike, which is exactly the same bike Reptile Spot is dealing with.

Unlike before the motor is completely secure, and I don't have to worry about it ripping off and flying at me lol. There are still some minor things to do, like adjusting the idle, but I'm very happy with it.

As for storage... I think I will keep it inside in the back room. There is something different about this gas/oil mixture that doesn't make me asthmatic like last time, additionally the back room is really an enclosed porch that is sealed off from the rest of the house. The reasoning is not so much the elements now, as is the threat of the bike getting stolen. Guns go off every other night, cops patrol heavily here, my neighbor's house was broken into the other day, another neighbor was shot at, etc... These people would think nothing of cutting the lock and taking my bike out of the back yard.

Photos coming soon (at work)

*update* I will post them sometime later and in the right forum section.

One reason I had fume trouble last time when storing it inside was that I failed to burn through the gas in the carburetor. I was sure to do that this time, in addition to emptying the tank. And as a precaution, I covered the muffler (which will leak a little sludge), carb, and gas tank with plastic bags.

Last edited: