Montgomery Wards

GoldenMotor.com

Bukrub

Dec 12, 2010
Texas
Well after finishing my first build and reading thru the forums has given me the bug. I remember my Grand Parents having a couple old bicycles in a shed. I went and looked this evening and there was one. I cant tell what it is, but it has a faded Montgomery Wards sticker on the front. It has a registration sticker for the city of Houston expiring 1975. :). I know Montgomery Wards didnt make a bike. Is there a way to tell what it is? You recon it worth redoing as a Vintage bike?

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I have a monkey wards and I thought it said Roadmaster on it some where. I could be wrong because I too got the bug after the first one now I have piles of bikes lol.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Montgomery Wards had bicycles built for them by Cleveland Welding (makers of the Roadmaster) and H.P. Snyder (Rollfast) as far back as the thirties, under the Hawthorne name.

the older bikes said Wards/Hawthorne on the badges.

dunno who made them in the 70's, though, probably Murray, Huffy, or AMF.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Not that many cruiser bikes from the 1970s are collectable. Muscle bikes from that period are very collectable (like the Schwinn Krate).

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Post pics if you can. I think it may be worth a little effort to at least clean it up a bit to see what you have. If it's that much older than the 70s, it might be beefy enough to make it a rather good motor candidate. If it's way older than 70s, it might have more serious monetary value, depending on other variables.