How important are those Rat Rods

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A ratrod bike is said to have some elements from a "hotrod car", according to ratrodbike.com. They are usually based on vintage beach cruisers or muscle bikes (like the schwinn krate or the modern KHS hotrod). It's a broad category so you are free to use your creativity.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I always subscribed to the theory of ratrod hotrods. A true rat rod was one of those cars that no one realy knew the model and it was a hodge podge of parts that were macgyvered together for a sweet looking ride. Mirrors didn't match and a broom stick shifter was used not because it was cool, but that us what was on hand when the builder was putting it together. So most of us on here have rat rods because of the junk we throw on our bikes while "tinkering". As the hobby evolves and more bolt on parts come available and us tinkerers become old timers "rat rod bikes" will become like the rat rods of cars, a mystical and legendary and an almost forgotten art. I mean some of you guys on here remember when hot rodding a car was an affordable hobby and very similiar to this hobby. But now you need a laptop to properly tune a car, and everything seems proprietary so the fun has been lost.

By my standard a rat rod is if you built yourself and you keep adding junk to it. I figure my soda bottle intake puts me on the path to rat rodding my MB. So I bet 85% of us here have rat rods...But these are just my thoughts.