Grubee Skyhawk GT5 Technical Question

GoldenMotor.com

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I am trying to decide whether or not to replace the studs on my new GT5 kit I purchased from Kings. I have heard that replacing the studs is a good idea but the engine and all of the studs it came with seems solid. If you feel as though I should replace the studs, what would be the best way to go about doing that.

Thanks for any help!

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
I'll tell you why. I didn't replace anything on my first build. That is until after the mount studs broke on my first ride. Then I got an all thread rod from a welding and machinist supply and replaced them all. No problems since. I removed the old studs one at a time and duplicated them by cutting and using a grinder finished the ends of each so that it threads smoothly into a nut of the proper thread. Use a dab of lock tite on each and even the rutted gravel road I live on doesn't break the studs. Good luck.

Tom

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
i have never ever had an issue with stock hdw. its all in the torque my friend. dont over tighten bolts and use loctite

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I use standard metric hardware...hex head bolts. Allen heads acceptable, and many find them more attractive.

To remove a stud, double nut it, or just use a small pair of locking pliers.

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I use standard metric hardware...hex head bolts. Allen heads acceptable, and many find them more attractive.

To remove a stud, double nut it, or just use a small pair of locking pliers.
A few more questions if you don't mind: Should I replace the head studs as well and how long should the bolts be; also, should I locktite (red/blue?) each bolt into place.

Thanks for your help.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
i use red locktite the diffrence is blue is medium strength red is high strength, and if you ever have any issue with removing a nut or bolt that has been locktightened just heat it up and the locktight will let go so you dont break anything although ive never had this issue on these bikes just some cars ive worked on

Enlightened Wookie

Mar 16, 2012
Kashyyk
i recently ordered and received a Grubee Skyhawk GT5 kit. i somehow managed to strip the threads on one of the mounting studs. i have no mechanical background whatsoever. can anyone tell me exactly what i need to look for in order to replace the mounting stud? like exact specification of a replacement stud to ask for in a parts store or online?
thanks.

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
I would pull out the stud by putting 2 nuts on it, tightening the nuts one agaisnt the other so that they "grab" the stud and then screw out the stud by turning the nut under the other. After that, find the size of stud that you need either by measuring the stud's diameter and pitch or by comparing it. I would probably end up buying a bolt and new nuts and washers and cutting the head of the bolt to make a stud. It's also possible to buy only a stud but some hardware stores won't have all sizes if any.

Enlightened Wookie

Mar 16, 2012
Kashyyk
@vachon644
thanks, but i've been there and done and thought of all of that. i was looking for the exact specifications of the stud that i could put into a search engine or something to find online or in a hardware store. i've already taken the stripped stud around town looking and asking for a match to no avail.

fortunately, right after i made this post today, i finally received a response from the reseller that i bought the engine kit from. they actually sell exact replacements. they were listed in the one parts section of their website that i did not look in :)

so in a couple of weeks, i'll try this thing again. will probably fail again. mechanical things don't like me :)

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
@vachon644
...i'll try this thing again. will probably fail again. mechanical things don't like me :)
(smiles) Naw, mechanical things don't have anything against ya, against your tools maybe... Are you building this with a quality set of tools or a Crescent wrench and pliers? hehehehe ;-}

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
@vachon644 i was looking for the exact specifications of the stud that i could put into a search engine or something to find online or in a hardware store. i've already taken the stripped stud around town looking and asking for a match to no avail. Studs come in 6mmX1.0mmX100cm on most HT49cc engines. On the 66cc most are 8mmX1.25X100cm, with very few 8mmX1.0mmx100cm

fortunately, right after i made this post today, i finally received a response from the reseller that i bought the engine kit from. they actually sell exact replacements. they were listed in the one parts section of their website that i did not look in :)

so in a couple of weeks, i'll try this thing again. will probably fail again. mechanical things don't like me :)
Hope this helps