I think there are 4 choices-

Street: Avon Venom, $150
Enduro: Bridgestone, $100-$150
Dirt: Bridgestone, same as above
Cheng Shin, $30-$50?

dorkpunch

Dec 19, 2009
SE Idaho
A couple more pics... Think it actually makes it look worse, mostly because I didnt really take my time on all the extras, just kind of threw them in and you can tell. I think it will work though... and its going to look freakin awesome.

diegom

Nov 19, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
I think there are 4 choices-

Street: Avon Venom, $150
Enduro: Bridgestone, $100-$150
Dirt: Bridgestone, same as above
Cheng Shin, $30-$50?

thanks, I'll look into that... a while back I saw this:
southsiders: JC Barrois and The Terrot HSS

and
JC Barrois Terrot HSS

and asked the blog author to contact his friend who built the bike asking about rims and tires...

he came back to me saying those are 26" bicycle dirt rims, only 2" wide... seems a bit weird to me... okay the bike is pretty small (350cc) but they look a lot wider than 2"

whatcha think?

ciao

dorkpunch

Dec 19, 2009
SE Idaho
seriously... If only it were that easy. I'm a teacher now so $$$ is going to be interesting. I'm taking a welding class (which i find ironic, since one of the classes I teach is welding) and have been playing with tig and am getting pretty good. Soon as it warms up a bit more I can go drag my stash of bikes out of storage and start hacking. I'll get there!

olddude13

Dec 25, 2010
right here
Its been a while, the fork blades are vintage schwinn phatom only used blade from pivot point down and steer tube the rest is custom turned and brazed. i will post build shots if i have them.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
This is a custom motorcycle, not a motoriized bicycle. Really not appropriate, you need to be on a motorcycle forum. I would suggest motorcycle forums. You ought not be using any bicycle parts on a motorcycle, you can die real easy. Vintage motorcyclers occassionally do die, but you are talking a frankenstein motorcycle which you can actually make safer if less authentic but not with bicycle parts. One guy built a GREAT Cyclone custom motorcyle for around 12K using methods you suggest, you can find him on the net, BUT he was smart and stuck to not quite scale 21" rims which are still motorcycle grade. I would suggest stickig to your own kind on a real motorcycle project.

Well, this might not fit here real well, but it seems like all the info I've been searching for can be found here! Great site.

I've wanted to build a custom bike for a long time. I've also always like the old board track racers, the Flying Merkel in particular. Having been unemployed, moved, started a new job as a teacher, and having access to some decent tools has finally led me to start on this dream.

I had a couple of rules. It has to be simple. It has to be street legal. It has to be cheap. AND the most important- it has to be COOL! (pretty easy with a board track racer!)

The bike of my dreams:

It took me a while to figure out the first two rules- simple and street legal. I have been collecting '70s Honda XL250's and 350s, and came up with this idea for the first build (I *do* hope to eventually build something a lot more accurate, but for the first, simple, cheap, street legal.)

I plan on hacking the top tube and back part of the XL350 frame off, use the headset, downtube, engine cradle, engine, and rear swingarm from the XL. The front will be a complete front end- shocks, hub, and disk brake- from a CB450 cause I have it laying around and cause it has disk brakes. I plan on lacing 26" rims to the CB450 front hub and the XL350 back hub and welding new top tubes, seat tube, and seat stays to recreate the look.

Rough sketch (I'm no artist, please dont laugh!)

Did some playing around with a ruler, compass, and dividers to get some measurements:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/turnymom/Flying%20Merkel/MerkelDrawings0001.jpg[
/IMG]

and started playing around in Google Sketchup (still trying to learn how to use it):

[IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/turnymom/Flying%20Merkel/Motorbike.jpg

Now the actual project, theoretically to scale:

So thats where I'm at so far. We are still in the process of buying a house / moving, but I'm hoping that with a summer off I will make some decent headway. I'm teaching metal shop... so I have access to some pretty decent tools.

I do have LOTS of questions, first and foremost at the moment- 26" rims. Where the heck would I find a set of them? And any other tire options that are cheaper than the $282 Coker repros!?

Suggestions and feedback welcomed!

olddude13

Dec 25, 2010
right here
This is a custom motorcycle, not a motoriized bicycle. Really not appropriate, you need to be on a motorcycle forum. I would suggest motorcycle forums. You ought not be using any bicycle parts on a motorcycle, you can die real easy. Vintage motorcyclers occassionally do die, but you are talking a frankenstein motorcycle which you can actually make safer if less authentic but not with bicycle parts. One guy built a GREAT Cyclone custom motorcyle for around 12K using methods you suggest, you can find him on the net, BUT he was smart and stuck to not quite scale 21" rims which are still motorcycle grade. I would suggest stickig to your own kind on a real motorcycle project.
Ha, are you the bicycle police? look at the pedals it is a bicycle it is connected to the rear hub!
It also has heavy duty worksman rims and hd spokes