Engine won't start

GoldenMotor.com

VermontCruizer

Jun 17, 2009
Vermont
I just finished assembling my first ever bike engine kit (from BoyGoFast on EBay; Kit Model H2-80). I am certain that I have assembled this kit correctly, however, the engine will not start. Won't even "pop" or sputter! I know fuel is getting into the cylinder because I pulled the spark plug and could smell the fuel (16:1 ratio right now) inside the cylinder and on the plug.

Engine wires to CDI wires are connected "Blue to Blue" and "Black to Black". I haven't connected the Kill Switch yet as I wanted to get the engine going and adjusted first.

Any ideas of what is wrong?

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Are you getting spark to the plug? and check your plug gap too. AN easy way to check if you have spark is to remove the spark plug put the cap back on then ground the end of the plug to the motor and spin your tire to crank over the motor.

VermontCruizer

Jun 17, 2009
Vermont
reg454-
NO SPARK, but I did get a shock (twice actually) so I'm guessing that rules out the CDI and/or engine electrics as the culprit!

With spark plugs as cheap as they are, I probably should just a new Plug. Can you suggest a better made replacement plug (like Champion or whatever)? The manual lists a few different plugs for this engine (I'm guessing these are all Chinese products).....Z4C or NGK BP-6L or NGK B-6L or NGK R7-HS. Thanks!

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
I went thru this same problem and it turned out my clutch wasnt completely engaging. It was only turning the motor over completely once in a while and thats not enough to start it. Good luck!

.sno.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
reg454-
NO SPARK, but I did get a shock (twice actually) so I'm guessing that rules out the CDI and/or engine electrics as the culprit!

With spark plugs as cheap as they are, I probably should just a new Plug. Can you suggest a better made replacement plug (like Champion or whatever)? The manual lists a few different plugs for this engine (I'm guessing these are all Chinese products).....Z4C or NGK BP-6L or NGK B-6L or NGK R7-HS. Thanks!
You may get shocked but if that plug won't spark something is wrong. I spent almost a year working on an 80's Motobecane, same issue I could get shocked to S*** but that plug would not fire. It was either a short somewhere or the cdi wasn't transforming the power right, I could't tell you which because I replaced all the wiring and the CDI then it worked. But like I said just because you get shocked doesn't mean it's gonna spark. Have you done anything with the white wire? at least double check and make sure it's not shorting somewhere.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Try replacing the wire that goes from your cdi to the spark plug first then retry to start your bike also make sure the proper spark plug gap is their. Remove the cover for the magneto and make sure all the bolts are tight, especially the black wire. The plug wire that come with these are cheap i took mine apart after i replaced it and their were only 4 wires in it use a thick wire it should improve your spark.

VermontCruizer

Jun 17, 2009
Vermont
OK, I opened up the magneto and all the bolts are tight, and the magnet turns when the bike is pushed. But the White wire is not attached to anything. I don't know if that matters or not. I would have to order the spark plug wire then.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you dont need to replace the stock plug until you figure out what is wrong with the engine.
mark clean your airfilter,gasfilter,muffler and change out your sparkplug.