Fresh Overhaul on Dax Gen IV and cool upgrades

GoldenMotor.com

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
I am taking advantage of this winter cold snap and rain to do a general overhaul on engine. The dax gen IV has just over 1000 miles and runs really well I just wanted to do a few upgrades for reliability. After tearing down the motor I noticed that my bike has a fair amount of blow by on the piston and I think it is a result of doing a soft break in as apposed to doing a hard break in. The bottom end is spotless and i wont be touching it.

Here are the upgrades I did:

Malossi needle bearing, which is a direct fit and buttery smooth:
https://www.treatland.tv/malossi-needle-bearing-p/malossi-needle-bearing-663209b.htm

Copper head gasket, same thickness as the one from dax and has higher heat resistance than aluminum. Also most head gaskets for cars use copper so that just makes perfect sense to buy one for my 2 stroke.

http://juicemotoparts.com/products/copper-head-gasket-for-motorized-bicycle.html

Titanium wrist pin. This new pin is about half of the weight of the steel one. My old wrist pin had some weird pitting in it and I didn't want to trash my new bearing with a pin that wasnt perfectly smooth.

http://juicemotoparts.com/products/light-wieght-titanium-10mm-wrist-pin-for-49-66-80cc-engines.html

I also replaced the piston rings and base gasket but I just ordered those from dax.

Of course I didn't take any pictures putting it back together..... but I am also going to be doing some welding on my sbp expansion pipe and I'll post some pictures soon. I haven't ran the fresh rebuild yet due to not having a pipe. But I think that anyone that wants a 2 stroke motor that can handle having some miles put on it should do these upgrades. I think that most failures on these motors are going to come from the cylinder head gasket and the wrist pin bearing. Also buying a solid bottom end from dax would help. I have had the generic pk80 engine before and it is nowhere near the quality of the balanced bottom from dax.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
that malossi wrist pin bearing is new to me. Looks like a good one, had I not gone with the sthil one, that would have been a great option. Thanks for sharing the info. Will the Ti wristpin mess up the balance or make it better? IDK which end is usually too heavy.

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
You want to make the piston assembly as light as possible. I can't wait to fire it up when the weather clears up and I'll post about any changes I notice

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
Your top ended will be more balanced the more weight you take off of it. The better balance motor you have the less vibes you get resulting in higher rpms and a longer lasting motor.

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
t is possible to just buy the bottom end from dax. Make sure you have a compatible top end to use with it. It would be a good idea to buy the top and bottom separately and do the upgrades you want while it's apart

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I got a balanced bottom end from Dax and used the top end off of a BGF engine that had a bent crank. It runs great but the needle bearing fit kinda tight, I might try that one. Thanks for the links!!

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
Here are some fresh pics of it all put back together! Freshly installed HD Lightning cdi just picked up from Sick Bike Parts. I will be starting a separate thread about this and my review of it and why you might want to consider getting one.

I really wish I took pics of the tear down to do some comparisons of the bearing qualities....

I've taken this bike out for only 1 short ride it's to early to tell you about any differences it made yet. I re-ringed the piston so it back to break in mode and running a little rough.