ultimate bullet proof vintage build

GoldenMotor.com

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I'm about to place my orders for parts for my next build a '50 Schwinn panther or a '49 Higgins I haven't decided yet. I wish I would have asked this question before my first build because it would have saved alot of grief but I didn't.

What would be the ultimate components for reliability and be the most maintainance free at a cost effective price? I have a cheap wheelset with coaster brake now and I spent more time fixing the rear wheel than I did riding. I want to keep them old looking is the only cosmetic goal.

Just to give an idea what I'm after I'll give my ideas first. Grubee 66cc slant head kit ( have motor already), Sbp H.D shift kit, Shimano 3 spd rear hub on husky 26x2.25 clincher rims,coaster brakes rear and drum front, thick brick tires, springer front fork. This seems to be the best bang for the buck from what I can see. I'm not crazy about the coaster brake because I had them fail badly twice this summer and they required way too many tear downs/repacking (every 50-75 miles!). I welcome any insightful input, and hear what is holding up for you guys. My goal is to build a very heavy duty reliable bike that I can take on 100 mile day trips. Is that even to much to ask of a bicycle drive train? usflg

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
sturmey archer 3speed w/drum brake! go drum front and rear-BEST THING YU COULD EVER DO! -that or the HD wheel from BLOWBYU is sweet as well! and it comes with double walled rim & heavy guage spokes

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Sturmey archer 90mm generator front,70mm 3 speed rear check. Macargi alloy rims check. Quick bricks ready to mount.Still don't know which bike to build yet.