Whole clutch moves to one side of engine.

GoldenMotor.com

oilstain

Jan 10, 2010
Colorado
Hello I have this problem where on my reg 66cc china engine when I pull the lever to disengage the clutch it pushes the rod in but also the whole clutch mechanism to the right side of the engine. The flower nut will grind against the gear box cover and I will be unable to disengage the clutch again because it is pushed over. What is supposed to hold the clutch in the engine and why isn't it working?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
the shaft is supposed to have a tight grip on the bearings on either side - it rarely gets loose

first, I'd check that the clutch is tight on its woodruff key & taper, as this is more likely to move than the whole shaft

if it is the shaft that is moving, I'd try lining up the large & small gear on the clutch side, then go to the drive side and stack some washers under the drive sprocket to hold the shaft against the body of the bearing - if the bearing itself is moving, then I'd grab an old feeler gauge and clip off 3 pieces to put in around the outside of the bearing so when I drove it into the case, it would fit tighter (3 pieces spaced around the outside should keep the bearing centered)

oilstain

Jan 10, 2010
Colorado
Yeah its the bearings (upon closer inspection.) I got this particular engine off Ebay. Random China engine. If I buy new bearings will I have the guarantee that they will be the same size? One size fits all? I know these random engines have varying shapes and sizes of parts. Man I want to ride before it snows.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
How are the bearings causing this behavior? I use 6202Z bearings for the clutch-axle; they're sealed and pre-lubed. They do however benefit from the axle-grease that should be in the clutch-spring compartment. How did you go about inspecting the bearings? Have you actually split the case?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if the bearing isn't tight in the case, I'd suspect the case was bored a bit too large (check by trying the other bearing there) - I doubt the bearing needs replacing, so just shim it till it gets tight

oilstain

Jan 10, 2010
Colorado
Well for one, the drive sprocket moves (jiggles around) about a half centimeter in any direction but here is one other aspect I did not mention it makes a clicking sound when in motion if the clutch is engaged or not. It is as if there is no bearing on the drive side.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Sounds like wasted bearing to me. Yank it for inspection. The clutch shaft drives out from either side without having to split the cases. Just strip off the gears and keys and knock it out. Be sure to protect the shaft threads since it usually takes a pretty good lick to move it.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
If you're saying that the inner race moves, but the outer race doesn't then you've lost the balls in there.