2mph increase in about 5 mins

GoldenMotor.com

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Decided my bike could be a bit louder than stock if it increased performance... so I took the muffler off, took out the screws.. shook loose the cat inside.. pulled the end cap off ( hammer and vice grips on the end tip.. just hammer on the grips )... cut off the muffler looking thing on the tip and let the cat fall out... put it back togther and altho running cold really effects it now.. once it's warm.. I'v got 2 MPH more and a lot more low end, and it's not much louder

PatMcLJr

Jun 21, 2009
earth
hummm, OK
please post back any info on a change in gas mileage, I was going to do that too but was sure it the free flow would adversely effect the mileage.

Loud? That's a good thing. Louder is better. I hear bikers say "Loud pipes saves lives, yours."

Pat Jr.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I have no clue on MPG.. the bikes just a fun toy for me, not really a commuter.. really, it should make MPG go up, because, you could maintain the same cruising speed with less throttle...... expansion chambers don't make a free flow exhaust like you would think.. in fact, a free flow exhaust would burn up a 2 stroke.. the 4 stroke derrived stock muffler creates a lot of turbulance, and while it works with a 4 stroke because of valves.. the 2 stroke, being pistion ported is effected by both intake turbulance and exhaust turbulance.. the expansion chamber lessens the turbulance. giving the exhaust a place to go without being free flow or high turbulance.... boost bottles operate on the same principal for the intake side, but in there case you'll just end up with a smoother idle

also. my numbers are accurate.. speed was checked at the same place, pulling a slight hill and under the same conditions.. using my Schwinn speedo

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
this i think is not a good mod. your motor will not last as long. its not good for the environment and also you will attract attention to yourself and loud bikes among other things is going to make the law crack down even harder then they are already starting to do on motorized bicycles. people will complain trust me.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
this i think is not a good mod. your motor will not last as long. its not good for the environment and also you will attract attention to yourself and loud bikes among other things is going to make the law crack down even harder then they are already starting to do on motorized bicycles. people will complain trust me.
like I said.. this is just a fun toy for me. I don't commute with it and actully most of my riding is done on my property, and even my only neighbor ( I live in the sticks ) thinks it's awsome... it's a lot quieter than the dirt bikes and quads that zoom down the roads which are surely not legal..
it'll last just as long as it would with the muffler parts in tact, just requires rejetting/ tuning which I will do tomorrow..

it's just a rough/ crude/ not as good version of what Pablo sells anyway

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
the Cat converter on these look like they would do next to nothing.. Cat converters by design need at least 2 Elements.. Platinum and Pallidium, and normally covered in ceramics in a honeycomb fashion... the 1 I pulled from my pipe, looked like a honeycomb, but shows no signs of ceramics or platinum or pallidium... in short, it's not really a Cat.... and lets face it, these 2 strokes put out more hydrocarbons and NOX gasses than a current day car engine.... for a diffrent explination.. I could use my '51 Chevy as an example.. it is by every means the deffinition of a gross polluter in itself.. when these were new, Chichago looked a lot worse than NYC does today ( I have a few pics from then, in Chichago )... but considering it is a limited use vehicle ( just as my MB is ).. and I might drive it 2,500 miles per year. it will end up polluting less than my 1998 Ford Ranger yearly... same deal with the bike

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If that tired old argument about "Louder saves lives" were true then we should all pull the mufflers and cats off our cars. That is a poor excuse coined by wannabe motorcyclist who go out, buy a new Harley and pull the mufflers off so they can feel cool. There is absolutely no scientific evidence that a loud exhaust makes the rider any safer than simply following the rules of the road and riding with common sense.
If Matt lives in a rural area and isn't bothering his neighbors he's probably good and the exception. Motorized bicyclist who ride in urban neighborhoods and city streets should try to present our hobby in the most favorable fashion possible. We might be on thin ice with our bikes; lets not go stompin' around. Muffle 'em.
Tom

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
hummm, OK
please post back any info on a change in gas mileage, I was going to do that too but was sure it the free flow would adversely effect the mileage.

Loud? That's a good thing. Louder is better. I hear bikers say "Loud pipes saves lives, yours."

Pat Jr.
I'm considered a "biker" and I say 'Loud pipes make me want to smack you when you ride by my house at 6 o'clock in the morning'.

Motorized bicycles that are loud are annoying to any one but the person riding them.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
2 Door, you said it most eloquently....

Matt- I live in the sticks too, and EVERYONE here removes the mufflers from their cars, truck, bikes, atv, mobile homes.....gets to be annoying round 2 am.

Having said that, I'll direct this thread back to where it came from.

If you remove the (fake) cat, then just be sure you re- jet or at least check your plug. The power increase is real, and it's mostly from the freer flow of gasses. Better or worse mileage?

Depends on how you ride it after the "mod".

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
yea, I'm gonna check the plug and adjust accordingly today.. I only did that 1 test run yesterday with it to see the diffrence... the 2 MPH increase was surely marginal, but the low end picked up greatly and that's what the real benefit was... actually it's not much louder than it was, just a sharper sound, and not as loud as a lot of the off road vehicles that run around the roads and in the woods that can be heard for miles... I also only plan to ride it in the daylight hours.. I hate the loud vehicles and bassy' vehicles that drive by at night too

Last edited:

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Loud? That's a good thing. Louder is better. I hear bikers say "Loud pipes saves lives,
In fact the opposite is true. Both actuarial insurance and state police statistics indicate loud mufflers have more accidents and also more fatalities.

Another study on bikers correlated loud machines with insecure personality, anti-social, and sexual disorders.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Another study on bikers correlated loud machines with insecure personality, anti-social, and sexual disorders.
Well I must be okay then cause I made a tuned pipe and love the performance increase but decided that the extra loud noise was not worth the performance increase. I removed it and went back to the stock muffler.

Attachments

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
My bikes not that loud with the gutted muffler/ crude expansion chamber.... I personally hate the Harley's with drag pipes... running along side them on the freeway, there loud enough to vibrate the ground well enough to feel it in the car.. as well as the noise

motorhead419

Jul 6, 2009
ohio
I did the same thing with my pipe. More low end torque and it gives it a better crisp sound..MPG should't really change since you're running the same jetting. Allin all a cheap way for more performance..In the mean time I just put this pipe on I got off of my nephews motorized skateboard...got the K&N off of it too..Sorry nephew..lol..Here's a link to it..New pipe with a paint job.. video by alan321 - Photobucket

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
It's hilarious the way some bikers lean on it when they catch sight of our little "kiddie cycles" putt putting along the side of the road. Often I get a thumbs up as they roar by.

FWIW simply removing the screw in the bottom will boost power by 1-2mph. But even that small increase in noise draws too much attention.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Ok please don't ream me to much but.. I rode motorcycles for over 40 years. If you don't think loud pipes have a purpose then you haven't had a car change lanes into you and push you into the oncoming traffic, or into the curb just because the driver didn't know you were there. I don't like obnoxiously loud pipes but the Kawasaki Drifter I bought had such a quiet pipe I was invisible. The first month I was pushed into a curb once and into the oncoming lanes twice. Switched it out to Vance & Hines longshots and in the next 30000 miles it never happened again. I always rode with my lights on but drivers are looking for other cars. Just my 2 cents.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
if you can see the driver's eyes or face in his mirror then he should be able to see you. I try to avoid the blind spot by either slowing down (first choice) or speeding up so they can see me. On a MB I try to ride to the extreme right of the road and have the head light on even during the day when using my motor bicycle running off the white wire light made by yours truly.
Norman

Mrakulous

Mar 9, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
My screw came out of my muffler and I lost the endcap while riding. My bike is a bit louder. I've heard it while my brother rode it and its not loud. Its seems loud when I ride it. I even got stopped by the cops, but not for the noise, because he thought I was some kid. I asked him if it was too loud and he said no. And with all these old dudes with their loud Harleys, nobody around here cares about my exhaust sound.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
thanks alot i was loking for an easy way to open up the stock muffler a bit. mine works like ****.

FTR: i took the endcap right off too and ill be leaving it off. i can see having to rejet tho for sure. i was surprised at the lowend it got from that.

if you do this people, dont run it WFO for too long anymore, this is a mod for those who want the lowend and just enjoy the cruise.

this would be great for the city, altho if you want to be running wide open for even a minute leave it on and just deal with it.

Last edited: