Indian board track racer

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I'd have to say that the green version took my fancy as well. Is he interested in selling the French bike or does it just sit the because like so many other people he is going to restore it some day and after 35 years it still sits there.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
What is intriguing to me about my thoughts about 10 years ago on how the parts fitted together were quite close to a "classic" modern belt driver. Belt tensioner for the clutch, sidevalve mower engine for what would be laughingly called power, and beefed up old world bicycle parts.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
What a spectacular motor. Crank start included. What kind of horse power do they produce and are they easy to find or are they WW2 surplus and now rare?

i wouldn't mind one.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
They seem to be in reasonable supply around the old engine circuit, despite their age. That was the beauty of those old things, the good ones were over engineered for the job, run at far less than damaging rpm, leaked oil and prevented rust, and were dumped in corners of barns under protective tarpaulins.

HP, I don't know, give me a minute.
T300 was used on 1.5kw generator, so probably about 4 or 5bhp.

OO! OOOOOOOOOO!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

http://youtubereplaying.com/results?search_query=Flat-twin+Engine

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I can see that crank out front on a cycle car... woohoo! The right hsp... going say to a nice old 3 speed shifter like the one I know Fasteddy has and who happens to be planning to build a cyclecar. Lots more classy than a 212 predator, don'tcha think? Kind of a Morgan look. Oh boy...
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There are a couple of US machines using Maytag flat twins. A smaller version of a Douglas would be a nice thing to see.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
After I asked if they were plentiful I thought to Google them and there were a couple for sale at a reasonable price I thought. Of course the good old Trans Atlantic shipping kicked in and the pick up only since most people just want to be rid of it without becoming a shipping company to do it.

I thought of a cycle car as soon as I saw it myself. Perhaps a 1912 Norman with a wild eyed driver hunched over the wheel as he raced down the road. Now I have to go and start drawing up plans.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
After I asked if they were plentiful I thought to Google them and there were a couple for sale at a reasonable price I thought. Of course the good old Trans Atlantic shipping kicked in and the pick up only since most people just want to be rid of it without becoming a shipping company to do it.

I thought of a cycle car as soon as I saw it myself. Perhaps a 1912 Norman with a wild eyed driver hunched over the wheel as he raced down the road. Now I have to go and start drawing up plans.

Steve.
I think it would make an epic cyclecar...
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
With the generator removed from the engine the shipping might not be too bad. It's a matter of finding the right seller and getting them interested in your project perhaps. Worth a try, don't you think? If the seller took a couple of photos from over there he could become part of the story, so to speak. Must be a club member over there who would be willing.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
While looking around for information about the Norman T300 I gathered that they were 2-3/4 HP and were to be no heavier than 84 pounds or 38 kg so they could be handled by one person and transported by mule. I believe this was with the generator-dynamo attached.
Rather fascinating motors with the standard superb British quality.

A member willing to help? Perhaps but I believe they may all have gone to ground with that suggestion.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I was thinking of a vintage motor club member over that way who might be enlisted as a go between, perhaps for a fee or a favor... might be an engine over here hard to find in Britain as a kind of labor or favor exchange. Something like that. All it takes is one kind soul. They are out there. You're one of them, my friend. So is Curtis Fox.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I think that joining an antique small engine club would help in the search as well. They are close to the source and some members may be interested in seeing a motor in a cycle car since there is so much interest in them in Britain and Europe.
There may be someone who has done that already and would supply information to help in a build.

I'll keep nosing around and see what I find.

Steve.