Motorizing the schwinn

GoldenMotor.com

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
The one from sick bike parts is okay but not meant for the 415. Dax doesn't sell chain breakers to my knowledge, if he does then he just started. You will need to go to your local hardware store (Ace or Home Depot) and ask if they carry them. If they don't then get this one and it will serve its purpose. I have this same chain breaker and it is bulletproof.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Oof, BGF. I wonder if he'll get it shipped here by friday..
But I went ahead and got it :D As well as a few things from DAX to finish the build this weekend so long as the parts get here Friday.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Hey! I found an 8 bolt rag joint on thatsdax, that would work with 32 spoke?? :D
ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_2
at the bottom

Can someone link or describe to me how to do the chain without a breaker? Apparently I'm no good at finding things with the search.. I know there is stuff on it but can't find it anymore. Or a link to a breaker for the 415 chain?

zpt
I only found nine hole sprockets on that page, most with 8mm bolts and one with 6mm bolts.

As for breaking a chain without a chain breaker, I did it all the time when I was younger by grinding both of the pin heads off of the link in question, then setting the opposite (non ground)side of the ground pins centered in the hole of two 1/4" nuts placed on the floor of my garage. Take an 8D nail and a hammer and drive the pins out of the side plate of the link and slip the chain apart.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I only found nine hole sprockets on that page, most with 8mm bolts and one with 6mm bolts.

As for breaking a chain without a chain breaker, I did it all the time when I was younger by grinding both of the pin heads off of the link in question, then setting the opposite (non ground)side of the ground pins centered in the hole of two 1/4" nuts placed on the floor of my garage. Take an 8D nail and a hammer and drive the pins out of the side plate of the link and slip the chain apart.
Yeaahh I am just blind and managed to count 8 holes in the 6mm rag joint even though there is 9 holes..... Hopefully my other wheel fits. Otherwise I have to use it 2 bolts down. It's always something isn't it.
:-||

If I can sell the other bike I have that has a very wide downtube I'm debating whether I should get something like this for a future build
GIANT BOULDER 2009
Trek 830 Mountain Bike

But anyway, that's sort of derailing from the topic.

If I don't get the chain breaker in time I'll try drilling it. Is it friday yet??? :)

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
rocky, did you ever get ahold of mdlee? he may be able to help ya...ive been able to hang out with him and he is a great guy ...if not im in lakewood and can lend a hand wrenchin and such ...just gotta make plans when your closer to this neck of the woods... sorry i missed your other questions

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
rocky, did you ever get ahold of mdlee? he may be able to help ya...ive been able to hang out with him and he is a great guy ...if not im in lakewood and can lend a hand wrenchin and such ...just gotta make plans when your closer to this neck of the woods... sorry i missed your other questions
Hey steam, I did get a hold of him we had a good chat. We made plans to meet up the next day but when I called him the next day to head over he never answered. I waited another hour and gave him another call but he still didn't pick up so I left a message. I also sent a PM on the forum but he never got back to me so I'm not really sure what happened...

Currently the project is on hold till I finish my finals which the last one is Wednesday. Also till I find another bike. I'd rather not keep goin on the green trek bike because it isn't actually mine so I would eventually have to take the engine off when it gets warmer out for the owner. Not to mention the 32 spoke rear wheel debacle. So right now I'm looking for something good on craigslist. Or debating if the 300 dollars is worth the trek 820 bike. Has a steel frame. But is 300 dollars. I've seen a lot of good looking bikes that have some very easy to work with frames but most don't have front suspension which adds a lot to looks and functionality I think. Decisions, decisions

Last edited:

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
hmm something may have come up...situations beyond his control etc...life happens sometimes.....also i have a frame and suspension fork that i may be willing to let go of for the right trade etc...khs steel mtb frame...motor mounts great on it...anyways...pm me otherwise i may not see the post or something