engine races then dies

GoldenMotor.com

hpjc10

May 3, 2010
Medford
Hi, I just finished my OCC chopper with a 66cc gt5. for a little while, it ran fine, the spark plug looked good. however, all of a sudden, the engine races from idle (Without the gas engaged at all). i use the choke and idle screw to try to get it to calm down, ant it works to get it to idle properly, but will die soon after. anyone have any suggestions as to whats wrong?

Thanks! .duh. (this is basically what happens lol)

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Yep sound like a classic air leak , there are a number of threads about this problem.
The gist of it is to look over whole motor(with covers off) look for misshapen gaskets, fuel/oil residue ,gaps in case ,and or seals out of place .
I even had one motor were there was a leak from stator mount
http://db.tt/i8q5OoC. <--- pic link
So clean up motor real well and when you find leak will tell you how to fix it ,generaly a new seal or some lock tight in the right place will do the trick.
Hope you fig it out good luck

hpjc10

May 3, 2010
Medford
thanks, I just noticed one of my head nuts were loose, removed the head and found that that was where the leak was. going to clean it up and tighten the nuts. hoping for the best!

Bikeman

Apr 26, 2011
MS Gulf Coast
Sounds just like mine, I had a small leak up top too, but my big leak that I couldn't find was the bottom crankcase bolt was gone and a piece of the gasket was hanging out! It was running just like you describe. I cleaned it up real good and then coated where the missing gasket came from with SealAll and let it dry for 4 hours. It was much better and ran good. I came home and foound a tiny little bit of oil on the bottom, so I cleaned it again and went over it with more SealAll. That is some good stuff! Going to let it dry until tommorow before trying it again, but I'm happy with how it's driving now, except I don't know how much damage I may have already done from running it lean like that and letting sand get in through the leak. Looking at replacing it, but ride it till it blows for now!