back in the day...

GoldenMotor.com

09electraglide

Sep 29, 2010
Norfolk, Va.
As the title suggests, back around 1965 I built a great motorbike from an old Schwinn frame and a 1.5 Briggs engine. There was a guy in town who would take your 3 speed hub wheel and make up a double sprocket for # 35 chain. With a belt clutch on the engine shaft down to a jack shaft and over to the drive chain, with the gears and all, that bike was the bomb. I would like to somehow make another one. Is this the place to re-learn how to do that? Is there a better way to go now? I've got 2 vintage Briggs engines to start with. Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You might try taking a look through our DIY, non kit section for some input and ideas. There're guys here using Briggs & Strattons, (or is that Pratt & Whitney?), engines and power plants from everything from chain saws to washing machines. Keep us posted on your first build. Have fun, ride safe.
Tom

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
As the title suggests, back around 1965 I built a great motorbike from an old Schwinn frame and a 1.5 Briggs engine. There was a guy in town who would take your 3 speed hub wheel and make up a double sprocket for # 35 chain. With a belt clutch on the engine shaft down to a jack shaft and over to the drive chain, with the gears and all, that bike was the bomb. I would like to somehow make another one. Is this the place to re-learn how to do that? Is there a better way to go now? I've got 2 vintage Briggs engines to start with. Thanks
Are you Kidding! If that's what your dreaming about.You have just found heaven.Just walk towards the light and cross over! You'll never regret it!
Sounds like a Cool set-up.I've got a bike and an old Briggs just gotta find the time.Kip.
[email protected]