heli coil help

GoldenMotor.com

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
Well it has to do with those lovely acorn nuts and "checking" the tightness. What size are the studs Jim? I would go out and check put its raining like cats and dogs plus ive had a few and been eating some boiled peanuts. Is it ok to tap the jug? I hope i dont have a new cofee table piece

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Well it has to do with those lovely acorn nuts and "checking" the tightness. What size are the studs Jim? I would go out and check put its raining like cats and dogs plus ive had a few and been eating some boiled peanuts. Is it ok to tap the jug? I hope i dont have a new cofee table piece
The studs are M6X1mm...

If the studs pulled out cleanly, you can re-tap the holes 1/4"-20...no helicoils needed.

I use a bottoming tap so that I get the maximum amount of threads for the depth of the hole. Based on SAE standards you will get a 50% thread. This is a minimum, but for this application it's fine!

I re-tap the engine mount holes 1/4"-20 on new engines...they are also M6X1mm.

There is no need to excessively tighten the intake fasteners...after you have re-tapped the holes 1/4"-20, install the longest bolts that you can without bottoming, even if you have to cut down a slightly longer bolt to get full thread engagement to the bottom of the hole.

Edit: Once finished you can snug the bolts up...you don't have to baby it for fear that the new threads will strip. The new threads will not readily strip. Just snug the bolts up tight and leave well enough alone.

Jim

Last edited:

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
thanks for the info Jim. 1/4X 20 will work just fine for me. I cant belive how much helicoils have went up
I can see the spark plug size ones costing more but 35 bux for a wee size set. Anyays thanks alot and have a good one