Help! Loud noise when clutch is in

GoldenMotor.com

dehannigan

Nov 21, 2009
La Habra Ca
Hi,
Hope you all can help. I have a new 66cc flying horse kit, just put it in my schwinn cruiser and it runs great but when I pull the clutch in it makes a loud knocking\sqeeking noise. if I roll the bike forward it goes away till it comes round to the same spot again. this is only when the clutch is in. the cable is adjusted properly and the wheel does not catch with clutch in. What could it be?
Thanks.
E.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
check the short rod that is under the clutch arm cover (sprocket side) if that rod gets a little dry it will make the nastiest sound you ever heard almost like stepping on a cats tail.
there is a ball bearing behind the clutch rod you will need a small magnet most time to remove it or turn your back and it will jump out never to be found again. These little engines will invent ways of breaking down along with small parts being able to take off to parts unknown.
Most of the breaking down and parts flying off is just Kidding.
Put a small amount of grease on the ball bearing put it back in the grease up the short clutch rod
reinstall it button it all back up see if that helps quiet things down.
If not let us know good luck have fun welcome to the Dark Side.
Norman

dehannigan

Nov 21, 2009
La Habra Ca
no luck with short rod and ball bering but the noise is coming from the area behind the gear. I took the cover off but cant see it rubbing anywear. what should i do next?

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Try looking at the back side of the gear case/clutch cover. See if there is a circular pattern on it. If so, 1 of the 3 clutch rods are rubbing the backside of the cover when clutch is engaged. Identify which one it is and either file it down or space out the case with a few gaskets. Noise will disappear if thats the problem. It is a good idea to put a dab of grease between the moving gears while your in there. Also lean the bike to the ground side while filing the rod, This will prevent any shavings from entering your gear case.
Theres my two cents.
Justin

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you might also look and see if either of the gears are rubbing on the engine case if so a little grinding with a dremel tool will help if you have the puller tool you can remove the clutch there is 3 screws
behind the clutch one could be loose.
You might have a bad bearing on the main shaft if you do then you should have some slack on that shaft to repair the bearing you will need to remove that shaft completely.
You might contact the seller first they might replace your engine if its defective if they have a warranty so you should do the warranty check before you take it apart so you don't void the warranty

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dehannigan,
Welcome and I hope you resolve your problem. There is a lot of knowledge here and the guys are all willing to offer advice. If I might make a suggestion in the future please post your technical questions in the 'Trouble Shooting' section. It will get more exposure and quicker response. Thanks, and again welcome to the forum.
Tom

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
1 remove the cover
2 remove phillips stop screw on pressure plate
3 with hand reach around push clutch arm with hand to disengage clutch note where arm is before loosening flower nut draw a mark on the case under arm for refrence for reassembly
4 hold arm in and unscrew flower nut
5 release clutch arm lol and remove pressure plate and spring
6 now you can see the 19 mm nut loosen nut with thinwall socket impact works best here if gun n/a try to hold hub with something to loosen .... You can put a rag between the gears to lock them for an easy way to remove the nuts same thing when you go back together. the rag will bind the gears with damaging them.

7 install clutch removal tool remove clutch assy and inspect and hopefully repair
8 assemble in backwards order tighten flower nut until arm is at previous mark on case hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: