When to change spark plug?

GoldenMotor.com

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
Hello everyone, I was just wondering.. After how long do you change your spark plug?

And what problems with the bike will point to a new spark plug?

btw i am riding a 80cc chinese engine.

Thanks

.we.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A worn electrode can happen eventually, but most people change plugs during a "tune up" - not specifically just these HT engines but a common practice. You can clean a plug if there is heavy deposits, there's even a lil tiny sandblaster unit made for this ($10) but I just get a new plug if it's that gooped up;

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Many 2 strokers (snowmobiles, ultralights etc.) usually start the season with a extensive tune up and a nice shiny new plug ;) Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer like mileage, but usage and things like mix ratios varies so wildly that each one is a lil different lol

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've read where the plug manufacturers warn against cleaning plugs. I think that is simply marketing. I've used the sand blast method and solvents and never had a problem. If the electrodes are not burned away, rare, and the porcelain isolator is in good shape, I can see no reason why cleaning a plug will not lengthen the life. After all, it isn't rocket science. Just metal and porcelain. If there is no shorting to ground a cleaned plug should be as good as a new one. But that's just me.
Tom

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
just watch the gap, ive had a spark plug in an older engine a few years ago and the plugs gap kept getting smaller, i would re gap it once a week, turns out the metal was fatiguing from being regaped so much, the electrode broke of and fell into the engine, that was the end of that 2 stroke! so as a general rule, re gap when it needs it, and if you find yourself re gaping it often(more than 3 times) i would get a new plug,

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Plugs do "wear out" but it takers a long time. The electrodes become rounded.

Clean your plug with a thin knife if there are deposits, (oily) or some 220 sandpaper (dry deposits) when or if you notice harder starting or lower performance.

You should have a look at the plug once in awhile to keep tabs on what's going on with your engine anyway, so that would be a good time to clean or replace the plug.