Do you know this engine... TAS MOTOR?

GoldenMotor.com

SeattleRider

Sep 23, 2009
Seattle
Hey guys, I already posted this in the board track area since that's what I'm working on but I thought this post was more appropriate here.

Here is the story...

I have the oportunity to buy an old 2 stroke engine called TAS Motor ($200). I know nothing about it other than looking at it (and i'm not an engine guy). I think it's in working order but I have no idea what it's worth and I'm having a hard time finding any information about them. I did find out that the engines were made by Tanaka of Japan and Jim Wilson Editor of BIKERODNKUSTOM.COM magazine has one of em (Thanks Mike!). Haven't tried (don't know how) to contact Jim.

Before I purchase it I was wondering if anyone could tell me about TAS motors? Do you have one or seen one for sale? You can't see on the picture (below) but the clutch is on the engine (don't know if they are all like that or not). I want to put it on my board track racer i'm buiding and I thought it would be better than a china engine. However I don't know if it's worth $200?

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated...

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have several antique motors built by Tanaka, but mine are all front fork mount, friction drive... a different animal to be sure. The Tanaka motors were well made, but ones like I had are no longer being manufactured. Tanaka (google it for the American distributor) has some replacement parts, but others are not available which makes keeping them running a hassle. Also the friction front mount were only 26cc, hardly enough to make much of a difference other than flat land travel. The one in your photo looks more substantial and no doubt has higher output. My question to you is: is your interest as a collector or do you intend to use it regularly? If you are a collector and it is rare then it iw worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. But if you're going to use it regularly I'd make sure replacement parts are available and technical information is also out there for reference. Just guessing, but I imagine these are few and far between and that parts are even more scarce. If that assumption is true then a HT motor makes more sense. For one thing you have this forum as a resource. For another you can buy a motor which is new for a good bit less than $200.00. Third, parts are readily available and inexpensive. I'd go with the HT motor or if I wanted to pay more and get more then either the Italian Morini (sp?) or a 4 stroke kit. I hope this helps you think it through. If you go with the Taz I hope you'll keep us informed on how things are going.
Silverbear

Reactions: JerryAssburger

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
looks like a good motor on the outside! it appears about the same size as the HT! what size of drive sprocket (# of teeth)? about same type of carb set up! actuall looks nicer than the HT. but I would have to agree with Silverbear and say that parts may be a issue. but if some new parts could cross over and it is a good motor!!!! I would like to hear it run first. theres not alot to a two stroke anyway ,couldnt be too hard.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I have to agree with silverbear on this too. If parts aren't an issue then by all means but really if your going for pure aesthetics a 4 cycle motor kit isn't that much more then the TAS and in my opinion one that has been stripped down and dressed up could look (and sound) much more "period" then any 2 cycle motor.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Just my opinion but $200 seems kinda steep for and old motor like that, unless I was a collector looking for 1 to restore an old bike or some thing. Remember no warranty and what do parts cost plus availability. Google is your friend.

SeattleRider

Sep 23, 2009
Seattle
Yeah I have come to the conclusion that this motor won't work for my needs. If I had the knowledge and could get parts then I would buy it anyway because it's unique but I think a HT kit will be the best way to go. I'm thinking of using That's Dax....