Can anyone diagnose this?

GoldenMotor.com

MasonMcD

Aug 25, 2009
Athens, GA
Grubee Skyhawk 66/80 fires up fine, but no power. If I keep pedaling, it keeps chugging. Once I stop pedaling, it rapidly, but incrementally dies. If I pull the clutch, it dies immediately.

I'm stumped. Why would pulling the clutch make it die? Is it just the friction of me pedaling or going downhill that keeps it chugging?

I've disconnected and wrapped the kill switch wiring. The magneto seems OK. The clutch is engaging and disengaging. I got a new plug, but I think I'll check for spark again.

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
I had what sounds like a simular problem....brand new motor had a striped head bolt....gasket leaked....fliped stud around (way more threads in block than nut) ....torqued head....fixed ... somthin to look at ......J

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
If it is the CDI, check to make sure the spark plug wire is twisted in tight enough......................I had this problem after putting on a high performance wire (for some reason) and ended up putting a hose clamp on the wire and wiring that to the frame to keep it from slipping out.

I know........totally jimmy-rigged, but hey, no more problems!

.wee.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Also try unhooking your kill switch. There's been a few people that have gotten bad ones right out of the box.

MasonMcD

Aug 25, 2009
Athens, GA
Also try unhooking your kill switch. There's been a few people that have gotten bad ones right out of the box.
Yah. Did that. I just went ahead and ordered a new CDI. I'll report back. I think otherwise, with as much troubleshooting as I've done, the bike is probably finely tuned.

scratg

GraingerDoodTim

Jun 20, 2009
Saint Petersburg, Fla
if i let gas into the carb before i am moving the bike will flood instantlly. so I just get going and then open the valve and viola runns like a dream. if i let the carb flood i get the same problem, wont run but does this weird sort-of-run while i am peddling. If i stop peddling it stops, and if i pull the clutch it also stops. I know how to remedy this probabally a stuck float or something, but really, i have spend so much time messing with this thing. Now i have convinced myself its an anti-thef measure cause you cant peddle it that fast>

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
3 things make a gas motor run air, fuel, spark...shut off your fuel spray carb cleaner into air filter...does it start and die quickly...if so its a fuel problem...get an inline spark tester...they arent very expensive...make sure you got a spark...if not you can hook a noid light up to the primary ignition and see if that flashes...hey is this thing new??? make sure that the connector is not attatched to the 6V wire...you said you replaced the plug right...was the plug wet???need allittle more info from you to help you...good luck...id like to hear about how you make out

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
if i let gas into the carb before i am moving the bike will flood instantlly. so I just get going and then open the valve and viola runns like a dream. if i let the carb flood i get the same problem, wont run but does this weird sort-of-run while i am peddling. If i stop peddling it stops, and if i pull the clutch it also stops. I know how to remedy this probabally a stuck float or something, but really, i have spend so much time messing with this thing. Now i have convinced myself its an anti-thef measure cause you cant peddle it that fast>
sounds like your float is sunk...just get a new carb or find where the float is leaking

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
Get rid of the plug ins on the CDI wires, & solder & heat shrink them.
i eliminated this all together by putting a weather pack connector in...if i need to change the coil pack all i gotta do is unplug it and make up another connector...the kit comes with chinsy wiring...i also used a wire loom...it looks better than the harness that they give you...

Bushpig

Sep 10, 2009
FtMcMurray Alta Canada
Any time I ran into this, I did not go looking at spark, coils, plugs, major things.. I checked my gas and found water in it.Other than that it was always my power wire to the coil coming loose, a quick terminal change cured this.

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
Sounds like the very same symptoms I experienced.... Until I learned to NOT apply any primer button nor choke lever; I have to stay away from them to avoid flooding my engine. The engine starts sooner, but still continues to die once in a while until it has thoroughly warmed up. Until warmed up, I ride at low speed. When the clutch is disengaged, I have to keep the RPMs up, again, until the engine has warmed up.

I hope this helps.

MikeJ

Bushpig

Sep 10, 2009
FtMcMurray Alta Canada
Mike...I'd suggest adjusting your clutch a little bit, you'd be surprised!!! Tell you what, I run
all my friggin 2 cycles on the rich side, easier to replace a plug, than a piston. But in the real scheme of things, don't piss around with anything that may bite, make you walk, get you busted,****, stay single, ride your "HAWWWG" and enjoy the smile's on the Girls faces....I do, all the way up here

Bushpig

Sep 10, 2009
FtMcMurray Alta Canada
Also maybe, hahahahaha, you have a fuel flow problem, take the carb off, take the float bowl off, have a look, see if there's any crap in there, water, varnish, ect, clean it up, you can buy spray on ozone depleting chemical cleaners at the parts store, I think your toy may have sat for a while.

Bushpig

Sep 10, 2009
FtMcMurray Alta Canada
Mike I read your post again...Hahahahaha, I'm having a couple or three....(Beers) Check the wiring to your coil pack, not so much the spark plug wire, but the power wire, it has caused me grief in the past so I changed the connection....

MasonMcD

Aug 25, 2009
Athens, GA
Sounds like the very same symptoms I experienced.... Until I learned to NOT apply any primer button nor choke lever; I have to stay away from them to avoid flooding my engine. The engine starts sooner, but still continues to die once in a while until it has thoroughly warmed up. Until warmed up, I ride at low speed. When the clutch is disengaged, I have to keep the RPMs up, again, until the engine has warmed up.

I hope this helps.

MikeJ
I'll try draining the carb bowl and leaving the choke alone (down, or up? I can't read mandarin or schezuan) before I ride again. I've checked the carb assembly, and everything looks OK, even the float. It does feel like it's getting too much gas, though.

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
An additional thought... Make sure the carb slide device is in fact moving up and down (take off air cleaner to see this) when you twist the handle. Another writer with an identical problem had his cable all messed up in the throttle grip on his handlebar. Once fixed, he cleared his flooded engine and it started as expected.

Also watch how that choke lever blocks the air supply when moved up and down.

MikeJ