ADVANCED or RETARD, just double checking ???

GoldenMotor.com

salorr33cc

Apr 30, 2016
pennsylvania
if you hold the magneto side crankshaft still at the 1 o'clock position of the woodruff key and turn the magnet CCW (to the left) is that retarding the timing ???

it should be cause that would be making it later for the pick up, just double checking brain fart,,, thank you for your help

The key way on these magnets is very sloppy on some engines I have found out, Mine is a 09/09/2015 ( the year is stamped on your stator on the coils)) SKYHAWK GT5 w/ 38mm stroke piston and ZAE80 connecting rod.

Because of the slop in key way some engines its been said that adjusting the magneto can make an engine a different animal and some peoples problems that seem unsolvable can be caused by this, worth a shot.

Engines like some retard timing at high RPMs..

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yes, CCW will retard - also older CDIs (single connector) are about 4degrees advanced from newer ones - also, there are rotors with notch in diff place

salorr33cc

Apr 30, 2016
pennsylvania
i know,, the old stators had 6 holes for ounting and new ones have four 4 ,, between all the different motors and vendors out there its a crap shoot on what your getting.. i would like to think i got a good one as my motor was in great shape when i got it compared to some of the bent up bad casting motors i have seen,, i barely had to do anything to my cylinder,,, I mean I cleaned it up with my Dremel removing some casting slag and the always casting lips on the transfer ports, and case matched the bottom gasket to bottom of cylinder then beveled all the over lap and under lap where the case meets cylinder,, widened and squared/oval the exhaust and intake, port matched pipe flange and exhaust flange for even flow and raised exhaust port 2mm,, intake port matched and widened a hair and just cleaned up leaving sanding grooves on inside for fuel atomization,,and 2mm off intake side piston skirt that was hanging in port window at TDC.

How does one know where to get a good motor from a good production plant,,, i would like to believe that i have a real SKYHAWK GT5 with 38mm piston and ZAE80 rod..

why is there a PK80 40mm and a Grubee GT5 38mm,,, whats the difference in performance and power rating, is one better then other,???

and with the timing all you can do is trial and error twisting left and right to see what works best,, and then there is the CDI WAR on what one is better,,,

ITS A PAIN IN THE BUTT AND CAN GET REAL AGGRAVATING,,, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP, I WILL POST WHICH WAY I TWIST MAGNETO THAT WORKS THE BEST

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
all the differences are rendered pretty much moot by the quality of manufacturing and materials - they are nice, disposable, motors to get one down the road reasonably well - I leave it at that