Jerking when at higher speeds

GoldenMotor.com

sumdawgtwigg

Aug 9, 2008
SW VA
Ok, so after riding the bike some I decided to stretch it's legs a little. I noticed very quickly there is a jerking feeling to the ride. I don't really know how to describe it...Like it feels like it's pulling great and then for a fraction of a second it's stops and jerks. Not a violent jerk, just a steady pulse almost....i'm sorry if this made no sense. I will try to clarify more if needed.

paparoach

May 7, 2009
Virginia
Does your bike idle good when you have the clutch in? This sounds like a problem i had. Yo are loosing compression from the muffler gasket and carb intake. You will need to take the muffler gasket off and use high temp RTV in its place. That would be the orange kind. Same goes for the carb. I hope this helps

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Could be a running to lean condition that is causing it to cut out at High RPM's or maybe in the drive trane, or could be that the float setting in the carb. is not right and the engine is starving for fuel at those high RPS's.

How many miles do you have on your engine?

Did it just start doing this or has it done it since you had it going?

There is more than one thing that could be causing this problem, so I say check everything very good and start with removing the spark plug and see what the color of it is, if it is very light to hite in color, move the clip down one nothch on the mtering needle in the carb. clean the spark plug very good and test it again to see how it runs, even if it runs good and the "jerking" stops you should still check the plug and make sure it is a medium to light brown, if it is still very light white or gray then move the clip down another notch and repeat the rest until the plugis that medium to light brown. there are soem other variables to this proccess, if you are running Opti II oil it will probably be a little lighter than it will be with conventional oils.

Maybe this will be a start for ya and I'm sure others will chime in here and possibly give you some even better advise.....

Best wishes....Peace

txlixard469

Feb 21, 2011
austin
I've been tinkering w/mine today and the same situation happened to me boggin @ high rpm's . I had adjusted my intake needle in my carb and then it started doin it too me and I thinx I done it myself but none the less same ting good luck

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Is there also a 'popping' sound??
Many don't realize this, but the chain can vibrate at higher speeds & snag the edges of the sprocket teeth, causing a popping sound & a slight hesitation.
The solution is to file the sides of the teeth so that they feed into the chain links smoothly.

sumdawgtwigg

Aug 9, 2008
SW VA
I really appreciate all the ideas and tips! I'm gonna start off with the intake and muffler gasket first. After that I will start working down trough all the things you guys mentioned. I just recently did mess with my carb to adjust the idle speed, maybe that had something to do with it.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Adjusting your idle shouldn't have anything to do with it, but it will have increased your engines thirst for fuel. Could be your kit petcock with internal filter doesn't supply enough fuel and the carb bowl gets close to empty. I had this same problem on my red bike on profile. I tossed that stupid internal filter on petcock and stick with a single inline universal fuel filter.

sumdawgtwigg

Aug 9, 2008
SW VA
Thanks ale, I noticed today while trying to figure out the problem that the gas line never has a constant supply of fuel coming from the petcock. How would I go about removing the filter? My current setup from the tank is this; petcock, line, filter, line, carb. I see gas filling the line past the in line filter but not above it.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
The petcock itself likely has a little filter screwed on it. You remove the petcock, unscrew that filter, chuck it as far as you can, then screw petcock back in tank. Some people here like that little filter, but I never have. Never done any good for me, and it's not needed IMHO.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Try losening the gas cap to see if it flows more gas. If it does the vent is restricted.

Poopyboogin420

Feb 4, 2011
Montana
I've had the same problem as the OP, with the stock sprocket adapter and with my hub adapter. I thought it was the sprocket, too. It definitely runs smoother with a hub adapter but still bogs slightly at high RPMs. I think I'm going to try the petcock filter because I never really cared for it either. You would think it would become clogged very quickly based on how small it is.