Clutch won't engage

GoldenMotor.com

the_tom777

Apr 15, 2011
New Zealand
So I'm having some problems with this bike i got second hand. I bought it with busted engine (piston and barrel were gauged to pieces). It is a Zbox 66cc engine. Replaced the piston, barrel, rings, and all the gaskets. Put petrol in it. Got it to start once. But it died instantly because i had turned the fuel line off in between tries to check some things (FML). Now I'm pretty sure I've narrowed down why it isn't starting again to the clutch. When i turn the rear wheel by hand with the clutch cover off i can see the clutch plate moving but the motor isn't turning it's like the clutch pads aren't gripping it. But there is quite a bit of resistance to turn it over. I've tried cleaning the pads and plate so they aren't so oily (they were really oily) with some clutch degreaser. I've tried tightening the flower nut. I've tried some other tips I've read around here. I'm wondering what to try or do next?

(I have also posted this in Norm's 2 stroke repair. If this breaks any forum rules please delete this thread)