bike bug. hows this fuel thing work

GoldenMotor.com

that guy on a bike

Mar 30, 2011
newmanstown, p.a.
Can anyone explain to me how the fuel system on a bike bug works. I have an old one I bought years ago. I got it to run but It would not pump fuel. I think theres a problem with the way the gasket is on, or maybe something is missing. Where the lines goes in and out there is one gasket that has two holes in it. Tryed it all different ways. Just can't figure how it even supposed to work. With the engine cranking air pumps out of one hole under the gasket so i assume something is kinda working. I wanna try friction drive and this motor seems sound in every other aspect. I'm waiting for my NT carb. for my other bike so right now I have some time to play with something else

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It has been some years since I used one, but I do know that after they sit for years unused the fuel pump diaphragm needs to be replaced. Mike Snyder carries them. If you google bike bug his site will show up someplace. I don't know the link, but it is easy enough to find. If it starts to run, then good for you, and it probably won't take a whole lot to get it running well. These are nice little motors, well made in Japan by Tanaka. You could also try Tanaka USA to see if they have them. It would also be a good idea to check the filter in the gas tank to see that it is letting gas through. If you blow on the line you should be able to tell. Hope this helps.
SB

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Picked up a Bike Bug that had been laying in a cardboad box in an old garage for the last20 almost 30 years, cleaned it up, there was some rust in the gas tank, but some grit and a paint shaker cleaned it up real good. Installed a new fuel pump diaphram, fuel lines, primer ball and filter. Cleaned and relubed the transmission. The roller drive was worn out and I used a skateboard wheel with a little work I made it fit. Used my cordless drill and spun it over now it runs sweet as honey. I'm running it on 100/1 oil mix. There is a Bike Bug web site with a guy down in TX that has parts for these. He's awful expensive, he wants $25 upfront for a manual. I told him I have the original manual, I know its original because its all in English. You can find his site. just type in Bike Bug. They sure are a neat little set up.
buzzard