Weird Gas Cap

GoldenMotor.com

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan
Hi everybody Im back in Michigan and my new #41 Chain is working quite well,however my gas cap is acting weird.

Today I was going to ride my bike to work for the first time so I filled my tank way up like almost 1 inch from the top. Bad move on my part, shortly after gas seemed to be siphoning out the side of the gas cap.

So whats up with that anyone know?

Also thinking of giving this bike to my grandson ( this bike is a little tall for me)
and putting another one together.

I had a few problems with the 80 cc kit from Kings but he came through for me on every problem I had. So I am a little leary of the kits he is selling,so what do you think guys.

Ted

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Nearly all these motorized bicycles have the gas cap leaky thing. Mine is from the vibration. But now that you mention it, it does look like a siphon thing. I've learned where to fill mine too so that doesn't happen. I've even thought about getting one of those 1 gallon tanks so I can just half fill it and still have plenty of gas...........................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If the bike was running the gas was probably spilling out with the vibrations. I think the cap is loose to allow for venting. Not sure what anyone else thinks.

I got my kit from boygofast and it was fine, I just put it together wrong. But i would buy the cheapest one since i'm not sure how much difference there is between them really.

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan
No the bike was not running,maybe it was fuller than I thought and the metal clasp thing the underneath part of the cap was just enough to make it start drooling out the side. I hurridly siphoned some out after straightening the bike more upright did not seem to help,so im not sure what really happened.

Ted

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I drilled a tiny hole in the underside of the cap, near the middle, then another but on the side on the top for ventine, that way it kind of goes in the hollow of the cap, then back into the tank.

I also fill it so it's a half inch or so below the opening when it's on the kickstand.

Take off your gasket and go to Home Depot or other and find thicker washers that work better, in the plumbing area.

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
I've had the same problem. I've thought about a locking gas cap, but I don't know where to find one and it would be pointless seeing that you could drain the tank by pulling the fuel line off the carb. Oh well, I tried. I'd like to do something neat and inexpensive (broke college kid) to make my bike better and more fun.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
one of the tabs on my gas cap broke and i went to napa auto parts and they didnt have one that would fit,too bad it wasnt just a simple screw on cap with a hole on top for venting.the caps still stays on for now,but i think i might get a diffrent tank with a standard cap or something.

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd like to have a gas cap that's easy to replace if necessary. There's nothing quite like being able to replace parts that are readily available down the street at the auto parts store or general hardware store.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just an observation but when the cap leaks you need to make sure the tabs are centered and engaging the slots of the tank on both sides. I've found that the 'tabs' one on each side, are actually one piece and can slide to one side allowing one side of the cap to seal and the other side doesn't. If this happens it also makes it hard to get the cap off. The fix is simple; just slide the tab back in centering it in the cap so both sides protrude equally. This fixed my problem.
Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
You can use the chevy style as well, that was just one I had laying around. But if you run a hose up through the handle bars like a dirt bike or ATV, the fuel flow is amazing.

So far I have not found any caps that fit these tanks.

pic of a chevy cap...BTW, it takes a little modification to get these to work, you cannot just buy one and install on your tank.

Attachments