Project Ideas

GoldenMotor.com

LukeG

Sep 17, 2014
PA
Hi,

I have the opportunity to have access to an amazing machine shop, including lathes, milling machines, welding equipment...basically anything you could ever want.

Anyway, I have to draw up a welding and/or sheet metal project for a class (I'm an engineering student) and I'd like to make something for my bike. I've had my 66cc china motor for about a month, so I haven't done much to it, but I ride it every single day. Any cool ideas out there?

Luke

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
You could start with something simple like toughing up the frame by adding gussets in all the right places then welding or brazing them in along with an explanation or report on how and why these little extra pieces of metal make a big difference in strength and rigity without adding too much weight.

Another one but more advanced would be to make a torque pipe for your engine... this takes a little more skill because it requires forming sheet steel into conical shapes then welding it all together, I'm still at the shop or I could send you the link to the plans... I can send the link when I get home tho since that's a really good power adder and you can't buy one... the only way to get one is to make one.

LukeG

Sep 17, 2014
PA
Thanks for the ideas Dave!

This class is actually a zero-credit machine shop course, so aside from making technical drawings, I don't have to do any analysis or report (don't worry, that's what my other classes are for).

A torque pipe sounds interesting...could you post the link to the plans please? Also, if you could briefly explain the idea of a torque pipe, that would be great. I read up on the basic idea, but it would be nice to hear about it in the context of a motorized bike.

Do you have one on your bike/what improvements have you seen with it?

Luke

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Offer them the opportunity to make a welded sheet monocoque frame, with milled attachment points for the engine and wheels? An integral tank will teach them about getting a job right first time.