new to the motorbicycle world

GoldenMotor.com

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
Hi everyone my name is Neil,

I just finished my first build(sorry site wouldn't let me post my pics) and I have a few questions.

Firstly, where can I find detailed instructions (preferably video or visually aided) on how to properly adjust the carb on a 66cc engine kit? My cpin and cwasher are aligned with the plungers groove where the throttle cable goes through and I haven't messed with the cpins height yet (I don't know how to). I have the adjuster on the carb cap opened a little and I haven't messed with the screw and spring by the tickler yet, I think I have to to turn it cw or ccw until my engine properly idles and stays idle while disengaged. But am not for sure still researching.

*I would like to put on quality american hex style bolts that will fit my 66cc enine kit. Does anyone know where I can buy some?

Update: after some research on carbs, I believe I understand how to tune it now...thanks to all who contribute to providing information and solutions to troubleshooting motorbicycles. I'll be using this site a lot I'm sure.

Thanks a million, hope to see you on the road. .shft.

My 2nd attempt to post a picture. testing 1 2 3
[/URL][/IMG]

*edited

Last edited:

BobbyT

Mar 16, 2014
Santa Maria ca.
Welcome,
Clip should be in second groove from the top. Idle screw cw raises ccw lowers idle. I recommend not to change things till you break in your engine. Make sure your engine is mounted solid. Beware of advertising gimmicks. Vibration stabilizer? The search feature near the top of the page will help you with your research.

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
Sorry wrong terminology. I was talking about the JNM super mount kit that has rubber bushings that rest between the engine and the bike frame. I think I'm gonna need them so it vibrates a little less. I'll check the cpin tomorrow to check what notch it's on.

Thanks for the help. .shft.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sorry wrong terminology. I was talking about the JNM super mount kit that has rubber bushings that rest between the engine and the bike frame. I think I'm gonna need them so it vibrates a little less. I'll check the cpin tomorrow to check what notch it's on.

Thanks for the help. .shft.
Welcome to the forum. If you would, give a link to that vibrations kit. Generally it is recommended to have a solid mount. If someone comes up with something that actually does work to dampen vibration at the engine mounts (who knows?) I'm all for it since it is the reason I gave up on China girl motors... my hands would tingle at the end of a ride. 4 strokes were the answer for me, but it would be a good thing if somebody came up with a real solution. (No, I'm not talking about filling the handlebars with anything or foam grips... actually dampening the vibrations coming through the frame. I'm skeptical, but also hopeful.
SB

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Welcome aboard.

The consensus around here is definitely against any kind of buffer in the motor mounts. On the grounds that it usually makes things even worse. I've had decent luck with a few different types of buffer. But even my successes didn't make things any smoother that I could tell. It just didn't make vibration any worse. On balance, I don't bother with it anymore.

I can't help you much with idle. You're right in that that screw by the tickler is the adjustment. But I've never gotten the hang of adjusting the idle right on these china girl engines. Mine either stall or they race when I come to a stop. Not liking the sound of a revving 2 cycle engine, I simply lower my idle to the point that the engine stalls when I pull in the clutch with no throttle. I kinda like the silence when I'm, say, sitting at a red light. And I'm willing to pedal start the engine when the light turns green because I kinda want that exercise anyway.

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
Welcome to the forum. If you would, give a link to that vibrations kit. Generally it is recommended to have a solid mount. If someone comes up with something that actually does work to dampen vibration at the engine mounts (who knows?) I'm all for it since it is the reason I gave up on China girl motors... my hands would tingle at the end of a ride. 4 strokes were the answer for me, but it would be a good thing if somebody came up with a real solution. (No, I'm not talking about filling the handlebars with anything or foam grips... actually dampening the vibrations coming through the frame. I'm skeptical, but also hopeful.
SB
Here's a link to to the site I was viewing the parts at. .shft.

Link:
http://www.jnmotorsbikes.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=23

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We're glad you've joined us.

Rubber: Don't use it! Inserting rubber or any resilient material between the engine and the frame is a mistake. You will not eliminate or reduce engine vibration but you will transfer it to the mount fasteners which will cause more vibration and eventual fastener failure. I know the theory sounds good, but it doesn't work!

Do a little research using our search feature and you'll see what others have posted on this subject. It isn't a new issue but has been discussed here countless times. Listen to the experienced builders who know and ignore the marketing hype.

Good luck with your motorized bike project. Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
Thank you everyone for your help..I'll sort through this site some more. Kinda bummed about the rubber though. Don't want to destroy my engine for the illusion of vibration bampening. back to the drawing board I suppose.

.shft.

KipBurbank

May 27, 2008
I have built 20 or so bikes, mostly 26 inch cruisers. My latest one is a 29 inch Walmart Geneses. With the giant wheels, the engine is less powerful and takes a longer time to rev out. But the vibration is very low. 20. Mph feels pretty good. And the motor fit perfectly with a bit out tube compression (hammer). That said, the Geneses was a battle everywhere else to make things fit. Even had to swap out the handle bars.

Attachments