Rear wheel, spokes and bearings

GoldenMotor.com

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
First post here, you all seem like a bunch of nice folks!

fair-

Maybe there is a burr or other sharp edge in the hole where the spoke goes through?
100% agree!
Clearly there is an issue at the point where the spoke contacts, not the spoke itself.
The hard part is the smallish diameter hole, and deburring/chamfering without causing other problems.
Typical reamers or countersink tools aren't that small. And you certainly don't want to use anything abrasive....perhaps something like a brand new center punch or awl or something smooth and pointed that could chuck into a drill and press into the hole. The idea being to "roll" the sharp edge outward.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Whooaaa, did I see that right on the rear wheel, 30 pounds! It does look like it would solve my problem's. Thank's Hough I do like those wheels and I think I will get a set.

I looked but did not see a burr, also used a small wire to feel for a burr. I did not notice anything. I cleaned it up and got some spoke's on the way. I'm going to order a set of wheels that Hough pointed out.
There is got to be something wrong, I started having this problem around November I think and enough is enough.
Thank's guy's for the input.
Funny thing, I had to use my truck tonight to go to the store. I have not used it in so long the battery was dead, that has never happened to me before. Quick jump with the charger and I was on my way. I think I will still pedal to work tomorrow. In the morning it's not so bad, but after work when I have had a ruff day I dont look forward to it, espacially when it is 103deg. like it was today. :ride2:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I just tried something and I think I found the problem thank's to Joe and cityevader. Welcome to the forum by the way :D

It is so obvious now but I guess sometimes you just need someone to point it out. I used another spoke and noticed there seemed to be more play in the hub were the one spoke alway's breaks. The diameter of that hole is bigger then the other's. I most have damaged it before but never noticed. There just does not seem like the head of the spoke has enough shoulder there which makes sense why the head always breaks off.
I'm just going to get a new set of wheels these are over five years old.

Thank you cityevader and godfather (^)

jg767

May 28, 2008
I bought a 105 gauge 36 spoke velocity wheel from golden eagle bicycle engine that is practically indestructable. I'm 242lbs. and Iride it on some rough roads in new england, boston in particular. Well worth 100 bucks or so.