Anybody built one of these yet?

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

I just got this delivered today by a customer who wants the motor swapped off his current newport onto this fixie.
Any tips on attaching the sprocket?
Looks like the kit gear might fit the hub in place of the fixed gear.
I'm planning to swap the 10speed bars for a straight bar from a parts bike so controls will not be an issue.
Heres the fixed gear hub...

And a couple Views of the assembled bike

And heres the Newport he wants to take the motor off of...

Any tips on attaching the sprocket will be helpful.
Thanks guys!

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
You can take the fixie off.
I've seen it happen.

I presume there are regular bike spockets you can buy, that are compatible with the fixie mount.

If not, drill holes in the fixie, aligned with the 9bolt holes in the sprocket, and bolt both fixie and rear sprocket together.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You can take the fixie off.
I've seen it happen.

I presume there are regular bike spockets you can buy, that are compatible with the fixie mount.

If not, drill holes in the fixie, aligned with the 9bolt holes in the sprocket, and bolt both fixie and rear sprocket together.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking...this guy is low budget so I need to make it work.
I'm gonna try welding the kit sprocket to the fixed gear and using the stock clip to attach it. Getting it centered is going to be a pain though...
Might open up the kit sprocket to fit over the fixed mount and use the ragjoint.
Depends how everything lines up.
Thanks for the input!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You are lucky to be working with that hub, in my opinion. That is a flipflop hub. You can order a motorbike freewheel hub from an online vendor that has a motor sprocket that will spin onto the motor chain side of the flipflop hub. No wobble. I have not seen the spinon sprocket offered without the hub.
http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/bike-motor-engine-heavy-duty-axle-kit-free-wheel.htm
The fixed sproket does not thread on this hub. It's a groove and circlip like a coasterbrake hub. Only freewheel side has freewheel threads.
Wait! Just looked closer and it looks like you're right! Gotta take it apart and see...

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Remover the fixed sprocket today and bolted on the ragjoint kit. Fits like a glove! I wrapped the hub with tape to keep the sprocket centered and it bolted up perfect first time! The easiest kit sprocket installation I've done so far...

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I was worried it would require an adapter that screwed on.
Nope!
Fits like it grew there.
By the way, I installed a stock kit ragjoint on an ONEX 29'er which I've since been informed does not work.
Imagine that.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Also swapped the road bars with some donor bike stuff more suited to engine controls. The brakes on this thing are REAL strong...faceplant strong if you're not careful! My ribs are still too sore for doing stoppies but this thing will easily lift the back wheel even at speed. The only thing I dont like about it so far is the extremely tall gearing. Needs a smaller freewheel or bigger chainring bad.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
On a 48 spoke tire you'll need an adapter, however, it might be possible to slightly bend some spokes, and fit the sprocket anyway, with 6 screws, or possibly even a few more.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
On a 48 spoke tire you'll need an adapter, however, it might be possible to slightly bend some spokes, and fit the sprocket anyway, with 6 screws, or possibly even a few more.
Mine fit the ONEX 29'er with all the bolts. I did have to spread a couple spokes a tiny bit and fish for the hole, but it bolted up! No spoke problems so far...and no distortion in the rim. It was a bit of a hassle to get trued up though. I assume this was due to the bolts pressing on the spokes more than usual.
Customer stays in touch so I'm keeping an eye on it myself.
If I can do it, anyone can.
I'm just a backyard tinkerer, not a magician.
Don't believe everything you hear until you see for yourself.

(Your results may vary)

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Mine fit the ONEX 29'er with all the bolts. I did have to spread a couple spokes a tiny bit and fish for the hole, but it bolted up! No spoke problems so far...and no distortion in the rim. It was a bit of a hassle to get trued up though. I assume this was due to the bolts pressing on the spokes more than usual.
Customer stays in touch so I'm keeping an eye on it myself.
If I can do it, anyone can.
I'm just a backyard tinkerer, not a magician.
Don't believe everything you hear until you see for yourself.

(Your results may vary)
That's great news!
I already expected it was possible to bend the spokes a bit. They only need to be bent away from the bolt, which is 1/8 in at most.
I do think that the vibrations may damage the spokes in the long term though.
Perhaps take a look if you can't fit a piece of plastic or rubber between the bent spokes and the bolt?

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
That's great news!
I already expected it was possible to bend the spokes a bit. They only need to be bent away from the bolt, which is 1/8 in at most.
I do think that the vibrations may damage the spokes in the long term though.
Perhaps take a look if you can't fit a piece of plastic or rubber between the bent spokes and the bolt?
The spokes are not really "bent" just had to kinda fish around for the hole in the ragjoint rubbers and washer. So far I have seen no wear on the spokes after a few months of use so I think it is going to be fine.
I would not recommend a new builder try this though...Takes some serious tinkering to get it straight and true.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Finished the fixie today.
Much as I hate to admit it, this bike rides fantastic!
The narrow rims really cut down on rolling resistance and the bigger rims give it smooth cruising and great handling. The frame is nice and stout and the bike does not vibrate excessively since the mounts fit so well.
The brakes are extremely strong and controllable, the engine mounts fit perfectly, and the stock kit ragjoint bolted up easy and true.

All in all, I would definitely build another one.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Nice!
What setup (sprockets) did you use?

I've always wanted to see if a rear sprocket with 9 holes would fit a fixie sprocket, as the fixie sprocket has the teeth about where the 9 holes are (like you can almost drill 9 holes in the fixie, and mount the sprocket to the fixie).

Also, I rode these bikes in WM, and they are very light. They accelerate very fine from a standstill. At least twice as fast as my beach cruiser!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Stock kit 44 tooth. I removed the fixed sprocket hardware and installed the kit ragjoint. A wrap of tape on the sprocket threads centered it perfectly and will hopefully help avoid damaging the hub threads. No issues with spoke interference at all.
I did feel nice and light and quick on the pre-delivery test ride. I'll be keeping an eye on this one in the future as the owner is a long time friend as well as customer. This is the third build I've done for him.