Figuring out my carb problem(s)

GoldenMotor.com

Kickstart70

Jul 16, 2011
Quesnel, BC, Canada
CNS carb, which I am just about to place gently on a large rock before hitting it with a sledgehammer.

The plunger should...move, right? As in, it should slide up and down inside the carb? In mine (which used to run badly but no longer will at all) the plunger is so tight that it nearly takes an act of a deity to get it out.

Any suggestions before I just buy another carb? I've had nothing but problems with this one. For what it's worth, it's a CNS66 carb on a 49cc motor, which I know others have complained about. :-||

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you mean the slide, use some 320 grit wet or dry sandpaper with some light oil to "re-fit" it. Your carb body may have warped from over tightening it...

Or you could place it gently on a large rock and hit it with a sledgehammer.
Of you do, take a picture. ;)

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
if it was forced in /not aligned with the locating pin in the side of the slide,than i could see his being a problem.
i have wanted to do something like this to my carb(s) also.i was leaning towards setting it in my hydraulic press (giving it a slow painful death)

Kickstart70

Jul 16, 2011
Quesnel, BC, Canada
I finally got it pulled apart and saw what problem I caused...I had the plunger turned around so the slot (where the cable feeds through was at the set screw instead of the angled bit at the bottom of the plunger, where the set screw would adjust the plunger height.

The set screw went into the slot, and widened it enough that it locked the piston into place. I guess it's back to a NT carb for me anyway, as I also had throttle problems right from the start.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
the cable goes into the middle of the slide,down through the spring.by turning slide around,the tiny guide pin runs in the slot,its 1/2 way in the slide bore .its probably brass and is also damaged.

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Sometimes if you tighten them up to tight you can distort the carb enough to keep the slide from moving . Try loosening it up a bit before you sand it or replace it .

patricklogsdon

Jul 9, 2012
Louisville KY
I've got a similar problem with my CNS carb on a 66/80 cc GT5 engine kit that I just installed/bought. My problem though is that the bowl just starts flooding with gas and it won't stop. I took the bowl off and examine the float...(everything seemed OK)...I took off the air filter, and twisted the throttle, saw the motion of the thing going up and down inside...I DON'T KNOW!!!...GRRR..anyone else haviing gas just pour out the overflow tube??. please reply to this forum and: [email protected]. THANKS!!

Kickstart70

Jul 16, 2011
Quesnel, BC, Canada
Is your carb level with the ground? Perhaps it's leaning too far back.

I've got a similar problem with my CNS carb on a 66/80 cc GT5 engine kit that I just installed/bought. My problem though is that the bowl just starts flooding with gas and it won't stop. I took the bowl off and examine the float...(everything seemed OK)...I took off the air filter, and twisted the throttle, saw the motion of the thing going up and down inside...I DON'T KNOW!!!...GRRR..anyone else haviing gas just pour out the overflow tube??. please reply to this forum and: [email protected]. THANKS!!

Kickstart70

Jul 16, 2011
Quesnel, BC, Canada
So....like night and day!

I bought an NT carb from Bluegrass and it was amazing how much better this is. The CNS V2 carb (with the "66" serial number sticker) clearly was much of my problem right from the start. One I put it on and connected it up (with a different twist throttle, but using the same throttle cable) it started with one pedal push and runs very nicely.

The adjustment screw on the NT carb appears to do absolutely nothing, but it's running...*shrug*. Next up is the 60T sprocket and some new brake pads, and I think I'll give it a shot riding to work. It's been a long haul to get this running properly....I've had it about 1.5 years and have only run it about 10 kilometres.