Chain lube and rust

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Edit: I suppose since this is a thread about chain lube, I should add that I really like Maxima Chain Wax too. It dries white so you can see exactly where it went (makes it easy to check for missed spots), never flings off, does not attract dust or dirt what so ever, easy to apply, made down the street from my house.
I've been going through a big can of this for about a year. I don't know if it's any better than other brands, but it works well for me.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I've been going through a big can of this for about a year. I don't know if it's any better than other brands, but it works well for me.
OK, I gots questions abt that....

I been thinkin' abt Clean Ride, which is a waxy stuff that used to be called White Lightning... for bicycles...

How's it gonna compare to the Maxima stuff?

...I think the kids been using the Maxima on the dirtbikes... there's an empty can of it on the tool box... (sigh)
Spensiv stuf.
think it's $15 for a rattle can??

little bottle of the Clean Ride is $8, so probably the same, costwise, in the end...

Tnx
rc

...ANYTHING with rust on it around here gets a shot of diesel mixed with whatever kinda oil thats around at the moment... works gud.
apply it w a stick, then let it set for a day. if it's not broke loose, do it again and wait 2 days!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
No kidding about the bacon grease. If ya ever find an old and badly rusted chain, paste half with bacon grease just to see. It really works great. It seeps in well and works great. But then again, I have a rubber muffler that I swear by. Snork, kinda have to consider the source sorta deal.

G. T. Water Prod. DK-COMBO Drain Opener Combo Kit
Like I already have a big enough problem with dogs chasing me now. Plus every time I stop I'd be thinking about BLTs.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
Here's what I've done in the past when workin on my bike I soaked the chain in some old 2stroke mix swisher it around and dried it out I figure the fuel will evaporate and if 2stroke oil lubes ur bearings it must work fine on chain

Here's another thing I tried all I had in my garage was gear oil I seemed to work but the Chain was very dirty after a while

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Somewhere I remember seeing a long list of reported uses for WD-40 (probably compiled by the manufacturer) There were some crazy ideas on it but the strangest was the belief that it helped to ease arthritis pain when spray on joints, fingers, knees, shoulders.. I'm not sure I'd like walking around smelling like over ripe bananas :)
Tom
My great grandmother used it on her hands and swore by it, she said it eased the pain very well and allowed her to move her fingers much better with very little pain...... we always talked about this when I was a kid, she swore by it and also dipped Garret Snuff so the WD-40 wasn't a big deal compaired to the snuff she always had oozing out each side of her mouth....Yep, most of my granny's dipped snuff and so did all but one of my grand paws...

WD-40 was good smelling stuff in comparisons to the spit cans sitting around...LOL!

Peace, map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've used WD-40 for starter fluid all my life and so did my dad, grand dad and many other saround here, I worked in the auto parts supply business for several years and sold a butt load of WD-40 for the purpose of starting fluid/everythings else, it will melt road tar of also and works pretty good as a prewash stain remover on somestuff as well.

Good Ole WD-40 is great for everything accept a lubricant where oil is needed....

Peace, map

Cool Tramp! Gonna try it.

Any aerosol will light up like that?

LOL! just tried it with the can of "Off" Was a flame thrower!

Hey! what if starter fluid and WD are the same thing in different cans?

Kids DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! I just tried Off then WD40 and after that, Starter fluid with a lighter. The Off made a bigger and more intense flame then the WD40. But Starter Fluid was very much like a flame thrower.

LOL, the things I learn from you guys.

Now I have lost all the hair on my right hand and the shop smells like burning flesh & hair.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow Map. Carol's Mom has really bad arthritis in her hands. (Still plays the organ and piano)

Will pass that on to her. Thanks!

Does it still work well for starter fluid? I didn't get around to trying it yet.

waistofhumanspace

Jan 8, 2011
michigan
My great grandmother used it on her hands and swore by it, she said it eased the pain very well and allowed her to move her fingers much better with very little pain...... we always talked about this when I was a kid, she swore by it and also dipped Garret Snuff so the WD-40 wasn't a big deal compaired to the snuff she always had oozing out each side of her mouth....Yep, most of my granny's dipped snuff and so did all but one of my grand paws...

WD-40 was good smelling stuff in comparisons to the spit cans sitting around...LOL!

Peace, map
I thought snuff was snorted up ones nose! chewin tobacco was for chewin my pop was a Millwright & could not smoke with his hood down so he chewed Scoal, he got about 4 or 5 dips out of a can & never spit, he always said "the diference between like & love is spit or swallow"

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Wow Map. Carol's Mom has really bad arthritis in her hands. (Still plays the organ and piano)

Will pass that on to her. Thanks!

Does it still work well for starter fluid? I didn't get around to trying it yet.
Yep it will start anything right up, just give-ur a good shot in the carb. and BAM....! she'll fire right up, even my Nitro RC engines will try to start on it, it is still very flamable, its all I use for starting fluid, never fails for me.

Give it a try Dan and you'll see what I mean.

Peace, map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I thought snuff was snorted up ones nose! chewin tobacco was for chewin my pop was a Millwright & could not smoke with his hood down so he chewed Scoal, he got about 4 or 5 dips out of a can & never spit, he always said "the diference between like & love is spit or swallow"
Snuff was used both ways, some did snort it at times but around here most everyone who used Garret Snuff dipped it, and the Skoal you spoke of is also called snuff which is dipped and not chewed, when tobaco is ground or powdered into anything but smoking tobaco it is called snuff and chewing tobaco is made from the whole leaf split into smaller pieces, I have dipped, chewed and smoked and was raised around the sort being nearly everyone in my family either used or uses tobaco in some form or the other, I dont use any of it anymore myself been clean from the stuff since April 2005, I was afraid it would kill me in my early to mid 90's like it has many of my other family members.....LOL!

I am a WD-40 user though and it is a great cleaner & it's a great starter fluid and of coarse my late great granny swore it was the best thing there was for her Arthritis... Now back on the WD-40 and the best kinds of chain lubes...... we probably chewed on this snuff deal long enough by now....LOL!

Peace, map