Help - Help Me Get Motorized

GoldenMotor.com

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
Hello and thank you for reading and possibly helping, I am attempting to motorize a bike to get to and from a job, that's about 15 miles from where I live and though I've watched many videos on youtube on how to install the motor kits,

I am very new to the world of motorized bike kits, though I understand some of the general things, I still have no clue as to what I should look for in the online stores I'm able to find like Ebay that sells such kits and I'm not entirely sure what I am looking for, I was hoping joining this community here on the forums would help me figure these things out,

This is what I need from one of these kits,

Must not require a driver's license in the state of Oregon.

Able to get a 6'1 280lb + out of shape rider to a job 15 miles with legs that can still work a 8 hour shift then back home, daily.

Cheap, like really cheap, as cheap as possible in fact, this only has to last a year, if possible, I'd like to attempt to do this for around $300 to $350, 400 at the most not including the bike I still need to get.

I've never had a driver's license so I don't really understand the bottom lines and so on, on what requires a license but here a link I've had help finding, I still can't really make heads or tails, at least not confidently,

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/vehicle/pocketbike_factsheet.aspx

This kit doesn't have to do all the leg work, just get me there with minimal peddling so I'm not already tired from peddling when I get to work,

Rather it be a gas or electric, doesn't matter to me, as long as it does the job and cost the least.

So I'd really appreciate if I could get some help with the leg work on finding these stores and items, as well as any advice, thank you, I look forward to reading your posts.

I'll edit this post once I've made a purchase and no longer need help shopping.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
You can do a friction drive kit with a chainsaw or weedeater type engine, some are 2 stroke and some are 4, most are under 35cc. This kit http://www.thatsdax.com/KITS.html is $150 plus shipping, doesn't include the engine but you can probably find one on ebay for real cheap, or look at local thrift shops, flea markets etc.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
You can check out this site as well, it's 2 stroke but American made. It's $280 plus shipping. As far as the other kits, I would trust dax over an ebay seller. Dax is well known for his excellent customer service. The dax kit is also cheaper than the ebay kit, which leaves you a little more money for an engine.

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
You can check out this site as well, it's 2 stroke but American made. It's $280 plus shipping. As far as the other kits, I would trust dax over an ebay seller. Dax is well known for his excellent customer service. The dax kit is also cheaper than the ebay kit, which leaves you a little more money for an engine.
where is this dax kit, did I miss a link?

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
Ah, I can't seem to be able to find any specs on the motors on that site and they seem even smaller then the ones I can find on ebay.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/catalog/3_Friction_Drive_Bicycle_Engine_Motor_Kits-13-1.html

Give this site a good going over and don't pay to much attention to engine size, no cop can look at a liitle 2 smoker engine and know what size it is unless it says it on the engine and even if it does have a sticker that states engine cc's you can rmove it a replace it with your own or none at all.

this company is known to have good reviews from their customers and have good parts from what I have always heard.

Map

Last edited:

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
Yeah, sadly its not that I don't want to, its that I simply can't spend that much, I'd love to drop 600 on this build and get something nice but I just don't have the money heh.

but thank you for all your help, I've bookmarked every thing,

Too bad one of these sites doesn't have some kind of payment plan haha.