Can't find a Kulana Moon Dog anymore.

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
OK, I'm sticking a fork in it and calling it done.

Not the easiest build I've done, but not the hardest either.

Just some tips you can take or leave should you decide to build one yourself.

I am not sure what frame size this one is, not XL though, kind of small for me but perfect for the kid it is for.

There is not much room for the motor, and the front tube is just a tad to wide for the regular extended mount.

I just gave the tube a little squeeze to let the studs by, then took the grinder to the second mounting block make it shorter on the flat end, and tapered curve side all the way out to the studs so it has good mount there.

A drawback to this the long studs don't thread up very far and I didn't have tap and die set to add more threads so I just doubled up the bottom bracket.

Another issue you will see is the one piece crank is too narrow to fit by the stock tailpipe.
You will either have to put on wider cranks, get a PooPoo pipe, or like this case an Expansion Chamber, and that only barley fits.

The handlebars were no biggie.
I moved the shifter to the left side and put a dual pull brake lever on the right for the V-brakes.

In short there were a couple of issues and it doesn't ride as comfortable as a new bike with shocks, it does have a cool retro look and the many stops I made putting some break-in miles on always led to a little crowd of people asking about it ;-}

Ohhh, last things...
I couldn't find any way to mount the left side kit chain guard, and you will want to get new tires.
I doubt this old bikes stock tires will last another 100 miles, but when he does replace them it should ride a whole lot smoother.

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Sorry to jump in but the very first one I built was a green Moon dog. I have two of them actually. Old faithful still runs the stock tires and rims. Havent had any issues with it at all. I did put a springer on it and it rides a lot smoother. Heres a pic...I also pulled the stickers off and did a fat bob tank set up came out pretty good. I ended up pulling the tanks off to weld them up but never got them finished so went back to the peanut tank. I have another running SBP shift kit apes and a 3 gear crank. Just something for thought.

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Nice Moon Dogs jezus ;-}

It looks like you have a speedometer on the jackshafted one, how fast will she go?
Any chain issues?

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Nice Moon Dogs jezus ;-}

It looks like you have a speedometer on the jackshafted one, how fast will she go?
Any chain issues?
I've had to 40 on flat land but that was pushing it. I built it to get up steep hills and do some experimenting with the jackshaft kit. The front ring has a derailuer on it and has a 24 and the stock gear that came with the kits and then I think it was the largest one they had I bought for the gear between the shaft and crank. Drop in the 24 or so gear up front and she would climb like crazy.
But that was kit no 2 they sold..it had issues I had issues and they heped me along the way trying to make it better. Cant say enough about SBPs customer service. I love the newer setup and wish I had it instead...oh well someday...

Attachments

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Really nice build Jez. What is the lay back seat post made with?
Its the one that came with the bike...it did really good till I tried to lay it back more...now it has a banana seat so I can put my .........where ever I like.
If you notice the one with the flames also has I springer with front brakes...need more of them in this world.
Terry

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
cool, did not see the brakes.

No kidding, as I sat here typing that, a commercial for bank came on TV. Guy rode a green MoonDog away. Just odd timing. Think we should start a MoonDawg riders association.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I must have this topic set to 'follow' as I got an e-mail today saying there was a new post, talk about a blast from the past!
I have built like 70 motorized bicycles since that Moon Dog on page 2 and it is embarrassing to look at it now.