Should I or should I not?

GoldenMotor.com

DiGiTaL-CORE

Mar 11, 2013
Montebello, CA, USA
I got an old ProFlex 854 and was thinking about putting a HS 49cc on it. Kind of limited in California from what I've read here. I'm just worried about putting one on a bike that's 20+ years old. Holds up well, though. Really interested in motorizing a bike in general, though. The more I read threads here, the more I think it's a great choice. Should I find a new bike?

Also, where should I start looking for a kit? I was looking at King's rear kit for the HuaSheng 49cc, but I'm not sure where to start!! Quite a few sites to choose from. Pure noobie, forgive me :p

Seems somebody did: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=19730
http://i.imgur.com/hL7RA.jpg

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Ditto WightBoy's recommendations, have had good experiences with both of those company's many times. You should go with the proflex, they were pretty decent bikes as I remember them.

dnut

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
I'm just worried about putting one on a bike
that's 20+ years old. Holds up well, though
i dont see a problem with that as long as u do ur maintenence on the bike more regular that u normally would. I do the very same thing.
im running a 15-20yr old trek mtb. solid as a rock and havnt had issues with the bike itself at all. :D (knocks on wood)

hope u soon find the joys of the world of motorized bicycle :) brnot.shft.

DiGiTaL-CORE

Mar 11, 2013
Montebello, CA, USA
You know your stuff. Didn't even know about EZ Motorbike till just a while ago. The 4G looked good, but the Q-Matic looks to be all the rage. Might be spending more money then I initially planned, but I wan't longevity :) Gotta spend to save, the way I see it.

Also, will rear suspension be a problem? It's apparently best to put the engine in the frame instead since it can cause it to be top heavy and the engine would have to draw the fuel upward.

Thanks a lot.

DiGiTaL-CORE

Mar 11, 2013
Montebello, CA, USA
Yea. Would prefer full as long as long as it doesn't get in the way. I was doing some the measurements on the bike and don't think I can fit the HuaSheng in the frame without putting it in at an angle. Might have to consider looking for a new bike, or at least a frame.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
yup, that's the one. I went down to single speed afterwards so I will either have to run a tensioner on the pedal side or a derailleur in the right position.

DiGiTaL-CORE

Mar 11, 2013
Montebello, CA, USA
Excuse me, but what would be the reason for going down to a single speed? The engine is connected to a separate sprocket, so I assume it wouldn't matter, but any reason you can't hook it up to a set for different speeds so the engine doesn't work harder all on the same sprocket? It's on the opposite side so I figure it might be weird to do that or something.

Last edited:

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
I ordered some worksman wheels for durability as the Schwinn ones are nothing shy of junk IMO. The worksman wheels come standard with a coaster brake hub which is single speed. That's the only reason behind that.