Throttle cable Issues

GoldenMotor.com

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Re: Throttle useless

Another problem I had was when I was installing the kit itself. The cable for the carb came preassembled, so I never gave any thought to actually making sure it worked right. After hooking up the cable to the throttle handle something didn't seem right....it was way to tight. If I had left it, my carb would've been stuck wide open.

What I did was shorten the casing on the cable by an inch and that solved that problem.

How is your cable?

1_2Mini

Oct 2, 2008

My throttle cable is fine, but hearing about lining up the carb slide with this notch had definitely got me thinking this is the problem. Going to check right now and post results.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO

What I've found is that the top won't screw on easily or completely if you don't have the slide aligned properly. When it's properly aligned, it should be really easy to screw the top on, and it should screw on more than you would think.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Re: throttle cable snapped

your best bet is to go to wally world and get the cable kit around 4 to 5 complete cables in the kit one will fit the throttle big end and if you look long enough you will find my post on making the small end of the throttle you will need some old phone wire silver solder and a propane torch.
Norman
I can make either end for the cables if you can't find them, I'll only ask you pay for the shipping MP me it you want to go that way.
Norman

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Hmmm. I did not see a little bump, but I do know the slit in the carb slide is facing towards the air inlet.

Another interesting thing is when I took apart the carb for first time the throttle cable pulled out the carb slide so hard that it got jammed at inlet. I had to force it back down, but is it supposed to block off the inlet completely? Because mine only goes about 3/4 down at 0 throttle. I'm worried that maybe it is getting stuck at full throttle.
The slit in the slide should line up with the bump in the wall saddletramp is talking about.

If you crammed it in there sideways, the little bump has probably tried to make a new slit in the slide.

1_2Mini

Oct 2, 2008

OK I've discovered I basically had every problem you could!

First off, the slide was definitely in wrong. I put lined it up with the idle screw and it slid down correctly, but when I twised the throttle the slide would go up then turn to mis-align again. I discovered that when I was tightening the throttle cap on the carb it was twisting the spring so it had a little torsional pre-load on the slide so every time I gassed it then slide would twist. To fix this I simply sprayed some WD-40 inside the cap/spring assembly....and it worked! Now the slide goes up and down perfectly.

I also discovered my throttle cable was too long. I took the advice of someone here and shortened my cable about 1/2" and now I can truly adjust the tension of my cable...no more dead zone.

On top of all that I put a flat O-ring in the air inlet of my carburator because I knew I was getting an air leak as my choke was useless.

Upon starting it after all of this all I can say is... HALLELUJAH! I can actually adjust my freaking idle now. I didn't realize this bike could idle at anything less than ludacris speed. My muffler noise concerns are gone now because it wasn't the muffler that sucked...it was my damn idle.

I'm as happy as a little school girl.

Now I'm off to my work to tack weld the end cap and exhaust pipe on my muffler....they keep popping out.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL

really , I just use a brake lever for a throttle! instead of a twist type , ai went with the lever type. in a panic situation its easier to come off the lever than off a twist and still maintain a grip on the handle bars!

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia

that's one reason why I want to change to a walbro carburetor. I can use a standard brake bicycle cable... :)

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas

For me once a cable breaks, it stays that way. What made it break? Wear, rust? and what makes the remaining cable that's left any stronger? Nothing. Iv'e tryed the "hex Head" ends the soider ends, Get a new cable, and carry on.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Sorry guys, but in the interest of safety I have to say that the idea of using a shifter as a throttle (cruise control) is asking for trouble. It might not have happened to you yet and hopefully it never will but if you ride long enough there will come a time when you need to get off that throttle NOW! A spring return twist grip or a brake lever will allow immediate return to idle speed but if you have to reach for and move a lever to reduce engine speed you will eat up precious mili-seconds that could spell the difference between a crash and a near miss. The concept of cruise control might be great for open road riding where there's little chance of encountering a side street and traffic but for most of the places we ride it's a invitation to disaster. But, that's just my opinion.
Tom

VLrunnin80cc

Jan 27, 2009
CAlifornia (bay and LA)

Hey I have been having throttle problems too. My throttle worked for like 2 seconds and then stopped working. I keep redoing the throttle assembly but when i took it apart it broke the plastic piece that held the cable. So now i cant do **** with it. Hey but when I was trying to get it to work i would twist the throttle but nothing would happened. I sounded like it wanted to go but would not pick up any speed. Also I keep on taking my throttle assembly out and I notice that it retracts to one side every time. Any ideas???

kg78

Dec 27, 2008
Sydney, Australia

the throttle on my kit has quite a bit of slack its annoying having that 'free throttle' part where its in no mans land.
what is the best way of fixing this? shortening the throttle cable no doubt, but how is this done properly?

KG78
.wee.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL

what I did, Iam using a lever as my throttle. so instead of the (brake) lever going to brake it goes to my throttle!the spring type levers work best. to shorten the cable what I did is to snip off the end that goes into the round slide inside your carb. then I cut cable to length I wanted. then I used a small electrical connection ,cut the spade part off and just used the small round part of the connection. then soldered that to my cable. a little clean-up will be required after your done. use a file or dremmel or some rotary tool so then it will fit nicely into the round slide!