clutch won't disengage

GoldenMotor.com

sloan

May 25, 2010
middle tennessee
I am having trouble getting the clutch to disengage. I have searched the forum and tried everything. Hitting it with a hammer, squeezing till my hands hurt. nada! is there anything I might be overlooking? this is a brand new motor. please help!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
How tight is your clutch cable adjusted to? Does the release arm move at all when you squeeze the hand lever?
These clutches are a simple beast.
Here is a thread that Norm made to help anyone understand what all is involved.http://motorbicycling.com/f4/bicycle-engine-clutch-222.html
Unless there is a defect inside somewhere, they are not tricky to work on if you have a good understanding of how and why they work.

sloan

May 25, 2010
middle tennessee
yes the release arm moves when I squeeze the hand lever. I have the cable adjusted about as tight as I can get it.I will check out Norms thread.check back soon. thx.

edangel

Sep 7, 2010
seveirville tn
take ur side cover off on ur chain in the center of the drive gear thier a metal dell pin and a ball bearing take them out and put some grease in it

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
try pushing the clutch in with your hand at the clutch arm on the motor .See if it will work like that , Spin your back wheel at the same time to confirm it is working . The clutch might need to be adjusted with the flower nut on the inside of the motor .

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
try pushing the clutch in with your hand at the clutch arm on the motor .See if it will work like that , Spin your back wheel at the same time to confirm it is working . The clutch might need to be adjusted with the flower nut on the inside of the motor .
Don't forget that considerable force is required to move that release arm.
If you move the arm inwards with one finger until it stops you have just seated the release mechanism. Now the forceful pressure is required to move it further and release the clutch.