questions about banana pipe and 56t rear sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

david jeffries

May 11, 2012
pennsylvania
anyone running a 56t rear sprocket and a banana pipe with a 66cc engine that lives in an area with a lot of hills? what kind of results are you getting with that?

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I have run neither, but from what I read on here the banana pipe makes good power in the upper RPM range, but is loooooud.

And I think the 56 tooth sprocket would top out in the 18 MPH range, but will have you pulling wheelies. If you have a lot of steep hills in your area, maybe a bike with gears and a shift kit would serve you better?

david jeffries

May 11, 2012
pennsylvania
im not too worried about noise level. im experimenting with my current exhaust. I have a small expansion chamber and I removed to canister "silencer". Cut the can open to find there was no baffling in it. I have probably 6 inches of header. I extended my tailpipe with sections of handlebar. my tail section now extends past my rear chainstay a couple inches. havent gotten to run it yet, since I got a flat tire the other day. getting a self-sealing tube tomorrow. so we will see what happens tomorrow or thursday, whenever I get her back on the road. I cant afford a bike with gears or a shift kit. thats a lot of money, probably over $400. i dont actually live in an area with a lot of hills, I just want to be able to climb them if necessary. my next purchase is going to be a front wheel with a drum brake from pirate cycles, thats $125 plus shipping, and the last major purchase I intend to have to make until my engine needs replaced. I have never heard of anyone popping wheelies with a 56t sprocket. some people run up to 72t sprockets. I may not go up at all. depends what I find after a couple test runs. have to ride a couple miles out of the city till I get to any serious hills and can also run at higher speeds. i expect to go a bit faster. I could hit 30 with the can on. dont want to go faster than 30 in the city. the only way i think i will need to go up in sprocket size is if im going too fast with my retuned exhaust. if i hit like 35 thats ok. if i go much faster than that, i will need to think about going up in sprocket size. but i dont expect to go much faster than i am now. im hoping to gain a little bottom end.

david jeffries

May 11, 2012
pennsylvania
well, I am almost done with my experimental xchamber to straight pipe exhaust. my bike has sort of been in pieces, so I havent run it yet. gotta put her back together, then go get a pipe coupler for the tailpipe. its held together for the time being, but its not a permanent fix. also getting a new headlight today.

david jeffries

May 11, 2012
pennsylvania
since I posted this thread, I have been working on making my tailpipe longer. I just realized, the same handlebar pipe I am using to lengthen my tailpipe could be better used to lengthen my header. A longer header would certainly give my bottom end a boost. I am actually going to make my header as long as possible, and my tailpipe very short. my tailpipe will only be long enough to attach a muffler. I dont have funds for a real muffler right now, so I am going to use a soda can for the time being. I know a soda can is only thin aluminum, but the great thing about a soda can muffler is that its cheap and easy to replace. I just have to find a way to secure it so it doesnt fall off while riding. a big enough hose clamp should take care of that though. i know its ghetto, but it might just work well enough till I have money for an sbp xchamber. hopefully extending my header will boost my bottom end a lot.

david jeffries

May 11, 2012
pennsylvania
almost done rebuilding my pipe. header goes all the way back along the bottom chainstay. just gotta wait for the rtv to dry and paint everything to seal it. made a silencer out of a soda can. pipe is looking good so far.