I'm using all hand tools help !!!

GoldenMotor.com

handtools

Apr 8, 2012
michigan
I am on my way to WalMart now to purchase my first bike frame. I am having a hard time deciding between Roadmaster, Huffy, or Shwinn. I plan on video taping and posting pics and comments of my entire experience with my first motorbicycle. I have already ordered my kit from boygofast, and will be doing a unboxinig video as soon as it gets here. If anyone has any advice or opinions please feel free to comment, especially on what bike I should get to start with. Thanks for reading my post.dance1

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welcome to the forum handtools, I'm a handtool builder myself and it gets the job done(^) Oh if we only had a mill, lazer/waterjet cutters, Miller tig welder and such, just think of the possibilities laff

Looking forward to your builds and it is great to document these kind of things as it really does help others here that are new to motorizing bikes.

Have fun!

dnut

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
wart mart bikes are perfectly acceptable despite "what you've heard".
Certain bikes are easier to use for a build, but nothing is impossible.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
For a cheapo bike I think the Cranny is pretty good deal. I've built one with a 99cc Preddy. Only have about 75 miles on on it, so time will tell. The steel frame seems sturdy enough. I took off the cheap fenders first thing.

I like that the Cranny comes with steel rims and 12 guage spokes, although they need to be trued and tightened better than the factory job. Definitly have to re-pack and adjust the bearings.

Beware though no gurantee how long any of this stuff will last used as motorbike parts, but they are an easy,inexpensive place to start.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There has been a lot of discussion about bicycle quality here; cheap-o verses the more expensive bikes. Here's my experience so far.

I've had two Schwinn Jaguars, Chinese built and sold at Target, that have served me well both accruing well over 1000 miles. Never had an issue with frame integrity, bearings, brakes etc. The Jag normally sold for about $150. That's considered a relatively inexpensive bicycle.

On both bikes I disassembled and checked wheel, crank and steering bearings and relubed although they had been properly lubricated from the factory.
The welds, paint and finish on them were high quality. For general purpose riding I couldn't expect anything more from a bike.

Now, let's look at a $700.00 bike built by a big name U.S company. They have a good reputation for manufacturing quality bikes. Even with the high dollar name I still took a look at bearings and was disappointed to find them all nearly dry. The crank bearings especially looked as if someone ran a greasy finger over them before assembly.
The kickstand mount is welded to the frame and the frame is bending where the stand attaches. That happened before the engine was installed so I can't blame the extra weight. The factory paint would chip off down to bare metal with the slightest impact. The shifter cable housing is cracked and falling off of the spiraled inner sheath and the bike has only been out of the garage a few times.
To be honest I'm not optomistic as to how well the frame will hold up to being motorized and I truely do not expect to put as many miles on this bike as the cheaper Schwinns without the possibility of some frame repairs down the road.

How much you spend isn't always a good indicator of bike quality. There are those here that will poo-poo on the Wally World, Target, K-Mart bikes and wouldn't touch anything made after 1960 or if it says 'Made in China' on it. There is something to be said for early bikes; like everything today, quality isn't the main issue to manufacturers anymore yet quality can still be found and it isn't always at the high end of the dollar scale.

A little research on what bikes are popular and have been successfully motorized will help the decision making process a little easier when it comes to choosing the right bike for you.

Tom

handtools

Apr 8, 2012
michigan
well thank you all for you responses and feel free to give me your input as the build goes on. I puschased a schwinn cruiser. I don't know how to upload pics yet so i put a video of it on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
i second yank, coaster brakes work but not that well, but im pretty happy with my cranbrook. but i would suggest getting a hub adaptor. easier to get everything lined up right.

handtools

Apr 8, 2012
michigan
I am working on a new bike and plan on using all hand tool. I am also going to be recording, taking notes and photographing my entire project from beginning to end. Anyone with any suggestions as simple as they may be I ask that you please put your two cents inn. I currently have a schwinn cruiuser, front and rear hand breaks, and a 7 speed gear system, with fenders. I orderes my kit from BGF. Unboxing, bicycle, and more videos will be posted at youtube.com/mramericavideo.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Is sounds like you have a Point Beach. If the frame is aluminum, you do. If it is steel, you don't.
The frame material is something to consider when mounting the engine to the frame.
Steel frames are typically stout and handle the factory engine mount well, where aluminum frames should have a wider surface area than the factory mounts give so as spread the clamp load of the mount over a larger area. This reduces the chances of a stress/ fatigue related crack in the frame tubing.

Definitely reinforce the fender mounts, or replace the fenders with plastic ones. Yes, they make plastic ones that look good, nearly identical to the steel ones that the bike comes with.