Found another engine...DIESEL!

GoldenMotor.com

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Today showed up a nother chainsaw engine.... a semidiesel!!! Very rare,made in 1000 pieces, 49cc, 3-4 hp at 4000 rpm. runs on oilblended gasoline, diesel, lampoil, petroleum...etc.Multifuel!!! No glowplug, you heated up an plug by burning gas, stored in the handlebar..... Made by an Norwegian company in -49-55, the first saw who later became the company known as the Jonsered......

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Today showed up a nother chainsaw engine.... a semidiesel!!! Very rare,made in 1000 pieces, 49cc, 3-4 hp at 4000 rpm. runs on oilblended gasoline, diesel, lampoil, petroleum...etc.Multifuel!!! No glowplug, you heated up an plug by burning gas, stored in the handlebar..... Made by an Norwegian company in -49-55, the first saw who later became the company known as the Jonsered......
Awesome! PIX! PIX!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Does it have some sort of adjustment to increase the compression ratio when u switch it over to diesel?

How much does it weigh?

Best
rc

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Some RC guys are building semidiesel engines out of cheap Ryobis and other weeder motors. The Ryobis are reported to have a lot of power, even if not made of the most durable stuff. I'd agree. I've had Ryobis and Poulans (used as stock weedeaters) that had impressive power, but the overall design compared to a Kioritz/Echo or Mauryama (used them for years in lawn work) etc was junk (rough castings, cheap bearings etc.) I think the Ryobi must be the happytime of the RC world. There are lots of adapters for props, glow plugs, mufflers and mods for them.

A couple videos I saw showed a glow plug replacing the spark plug, which was heated by applying current till the engine started, then the current could be switched off and it still ran (on some mix of gas and kerosene I think).
I don't know if they changed the timing or milled the head.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
hey Leaded50, your luck is spreading. A friend called me today and said he was cleaning out his garage and wanted to know if I could use a good backpack gas blower. Did a quick check on the internet and it looks like they run the gamit from 43cc to 65ccs. You know what I'm hoping for. I have an old 4-speed Titan that needs help. Looks like I have a new project!!!! Any progress on your diesel?

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Great to hear others also get something out of "my" luck.. ;-) Ha,ha.
Blower engines would be a great alternative for motorizing! Keep up the idea! My diesel hadnt progressed yet... i got a few good bids on sale...... And i twisted around tearing it apart and use for fun, or to keep it original as an historical item...

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
That's too cool. This reminds me of the story of the little kid looking at the huge pile of manure and saying" I just know there's a pony in there somewhere"! I can't wait to see it without the bar, etc. How's the compression? Here is a photo of my free little blower engine without the housing, etc.

Attachments

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Nice engine,Scootmeister. Compression is great, said to be 10:1.....and it fit with the test!! Found some minor changes on it from original...The pipeframe was orginally a propanetank with a burner in front on a non electrical plug, open the propane valve, fire up, and wait for the metalplug (top of pic 2)to get red hot, and use the rope! This burner is removed and pipe plugged, perhaps because a lot of trouble with leakage on the propane, and used a stand alone torch instead. Well, its also have a springed rope-puller, who are very rare,no info says that the Norwegian saw could have been built with this.Even if the later Swedish saw had it as extra accessories, but it dont look like this one........and this one is also branded Comet....Removed,the normal rope pulley was under it.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Yup, now it looks like an engine! Wonder if there's a way to bolt it down and bench start it? Do you have any specs on the HP rating, it looks like a fairly small displacement.

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
Looking good Leaded! Great find.

If you can get it to run on vegi oil that'd keep the spandex'rs off your case :p
He,he! It seems to do it! Ist called a rawoilengine, and run on diesel, parafin, gasoline & kerosene. Just another oilmix when gasoline etc.was used.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Hahha. There really are "spandex warriors". 2 of them have been harassing me on Amazon even. haha. They really hate "bastardized bicycle monstrosities" and feel threatened by "grease monkeys who are afraid of athletic men in tight fitting clothing." ROTFL I like wearing spandex bike shorts and jerseys, and like road cycling. But the stupid posers don't get it that a bike that gets 80-100mpg and burns 2% synthetic oil, is a whole lot better for the road and the earth than their 3 ton SUV (Selfish Urban Vanity aka 4x4 coffee cupholder). It's just not practical for most people to pedal a bike everywhere, carrying all their stuff, but a motor bicycle can work for a lot of people, even novice riders, to save gas and enjoy a bike ride every day.