What type of chain do I have??

GoldenMotor.com

East82

Oct 17, 2011
SoCal
'nother question ...I have china doll standard 80cc. I want to get the correct chain break tool, but I do not know what type of chain I have. I think the consensus is my chain is most likely a #410. I don't even know what that means.

Is there a way to tell, without question, what type of chain I have? Perhaps measuring ...but what to measure?

reddd

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
You have #410 chain...

The pitch of the chain should be 1/2" between teeth to confirm this

#410 is in the same family as #415 and #41... all the same pitch, just differing widths

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
No You probably have a #415 if it's a kit-
although I think a vendor or two here still may ship a 410

They are all the same length of link

the dif is the width:

a standard cruiser or one speed chain is a #410 and 1/8" wide- this is the most narrow point INSIDE the links

a standard derailleur is 3/32 wide

and the usual kit chain imported is the 415- 3/16 wide at the most narrow inside point
see my thread about the new 415 chain I found- to me the perfect solution

you get the 415 margins of error to keep from derailling- but in a chain that doesn't weigh much more than the 410 cruiser chain-

Of course weights vary otherwise even in the same width depending on the quality of the chain

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/im-really-jazzed-over-new-chain-34585.html

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
back in the day- road racing through the seventies- I used to change a chain several times a season- they get gritty and they actually stretch with use-

the basic rule has always been you cant run a new chain on a worn cog, and vice versa because it wants to skip- on a deraileur chain at least

A road bike had a 5 cog in the back when I started and then went to six- but the chain still stayed the same size-
after that they got even more exotic and went to seven, eight and nine speeds

Fine- but too exotic and the chains then got too expensive- for something that has to be routinely changed

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you have a skinny bicycle type chain like the new Grubee Skyhawks have, any chain breaker from a bike shop will work.

if you have a fat chain that looks like it should be on a motorcycle, some bicycle chain breakers will fit, but you'd be better off getting one designed for a motorcycle. Harbor Frieght has one for around ten bucks.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
For my kit chain, I think its a 415 I got the chain breaker from motorcycle shop cycle gear. And I love the way it works.

Chain Breaker

Its a bit more expensive, but was worth it. I was able to push the pin out, adjust, and push pin back in. No master links.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Here's one under $19 shipped- haven't tried it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/motor-motor...992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4157c32cb0

As I wrote in the thread linked above- you can also get a cheap Bell breaker to work- if you take out the middle supprt ridges with some pliers, and you have to start it partway through with some channel locks or a hammer, pushing it back in.
about $7 at wal Marts everywhere
Harbor Freight's is out of stock, backorder, $10 BEFORE shipping, and has no handle

Last edited:

East82

Oct 17, 2011
SoCal
Here's one under $19 shipped- haven't tried it
motor motorized gas engine bike kit parts chain breaker | eBay

As I wrote in the thread linked above- you can also get a cheap Bell breaker to work- if you take out the middle supprt ridges with some pliers, and you have to start it partway through with some channel locks or a hammer, pushing it back in.
about $7 at wal Marts everywhere
Harbor Freight's is out of stock, backorder, $10 BEFORE shipping, and has no handle
I got the same tool from BGF on ebay . Looks solid enough. BTW, my chain is #415. Thanks to all that posted with your help and input. As always this forum kicks a$$.