GT-5A Super Hawk- anyone have one?

GoldenMotor.com

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
I ordered one late monday from Piston bikes and ups tracking says it will be here thursday. What id like to know from anyone that has one , is there anything that i should know about the motor that could possible save me some time or headache. Have you ran into any problems? Did the motor break-in properly. The guy at piston bikes said it might be alittle hard to start because of the high compression, was this a real problem? Any information that will help would be greatly appreciated.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i just built one for a friend. it's a lot faster than the regular GT5.

starting isn't a problem, it does have noticeably more compression, but it'll start.

the main problem we're having is blowing head gaskets (2 so far in 2 weeks) and warping the head. the head is really thin with a tiny combustion chamber.

also, it seems to run a lot hotter. with the carb needle in the second notch like normal california bikes, the plug's almost white. trying it on the 3rd notch now.

i'm gonna build another one for me this weekend, so i'll start a new thread on the results.

there's also this post where i detail the specs of it: http://motorbicycling.com/f4/new-2011-gt5-super-hawk-33144.html

Last edited:

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
Thank you for the info, well im up here in washington and hot weather is not an issue. i think so far this summer i dont think we had a handfull of days over 75 degrees. i will make sure the head is true and repace the head bolts, start with a cold plug and make sure its torqued right. I will keeep an eye on your thread and when i get mine going i will post results also.
RIDE ON!!!!!