Bike from scratch

GoldenMotor.com

Lance2020x

Jun 23, 2010
Tennessee
Alright, I'd rather ask the opinion of people who are experienced than spend hours researching and still not know what I'm doing...

I'm not a biker, and never have been, but I really want a motor bicycle to take to school / grocery store etc. to save myself gas, be environmentally friendly and have fun. But the main focus is saving money... However since I know nothing about bikes or motors I have no idea what bikes/motors I've been researching are reliable, safe, cost efficient etc. I figure you guys know what the best brands are, easiest installations, and who knows... maybe someone has an old bike lying around they'd sell me?

Here are my priorities:
1. Cost- I'm getting a bike to save money, I don't have much to spend on the bike up-front
2. Safety.
3. Reliability and ease of use... While I'm getting one to use for town/college, I'm a camper as well and would LOVE to take a roadtrip on a motor bicycle

While I would love for it to be 'sexy', at this point it's most important that it's inexpensive, I'll buy a sexy one when I have more money :-D

So what are you suggestions for brands, websites etc? Does anybody have an ugly old bike they would like to sell to a beginner? Where is the best place/brand/etc. for an absolute beginner to go?

Thanks so much for the help, I would love to be a motor bicycle enthusiast but I currently know NOTHING about it, except for riding one once for 5 minutes. :)

Blessings

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Check the craigslist in your area, you're bound to come across a cheap bike.

Then you can get a chinese engine, new, for under $200 from many places.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
well even a brand new cranbrook from wally world is like 80 bones and they are the cheapest sexy I know of. So what is your actual budget? Because under 300 for the motor and bike is a pretty cheap ride + a lil sexy.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
On top of that, if you don't like the cranbrook, just check the pawn shops for used bicycles.

Also as far as ease of installation, these kits seem to be made to go on the average straight tube 10 speed mountain bike. With a cruiser like a cranbrook you will have to drill a hole in the frame or use a special U-bolt type mount.

eldo

Aug 23, 2009
illinois
You can buy a used bike for $20 And a 2stroke for $120 Safety and reliability cost a little more

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Steel, diamond framed mountain bikes are cheap at yard sales and on craigslist. They provide a straight forward installation. After you learn the ropes, you can transfer that kit to a sexy frame like a chopper or stretch bike.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I agree with Nidyanazo. If you live in a populated enough area Craigslist is the place to go. Do a search for motorized in the bikes for sale section. You might even be able to pick up a bike already motorized for "cheap"!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you do buy a cheap, used motored bike off craigslist, remember what you're getting.

a cheap, used motored bike off craigslist.

in otherwords, you get what you pay for.

i'm saying this because if you buy a piece of junk, it might turn you off to motorized bikes altogether, and you'll miss out on what they're really all about.

but on the plus side, if you learn how to fix all the problems on your used piece of crap, it'll be easier to build a good one in the future.

eldo

Aug 23, 2009
illinois
Bairdco Guess your wright got a guy 2blks away who sells bikes on craigs list for $20 bought 2 myself Junk but made them work. The only problem your gonna run into is pedal clearence. All the kits are pretty easy now even the cheap 2 strokes. But then how long are they gonna last another question. Practise builds only to learn. Larry

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Concerning question #3, The cheap Chinese engines are the least reliable and require more maintenance that most other kits out there. If you are willing to keep up on the maintenance required, and work out the occasional problems they get, they can be the cheapest route to take.
The other kits out there cost up to 3x as much to initially purchase, but they require comparatively little maintenance and certain engines are extremely reliable.

My current suggestion would be a GEBE with a 4 stroke engine; EHO35 Robin Subaru.
Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More

eldo

Aug 23, 2009
illinois
You are also wright only problem is I dont think Lance2020x is in this conversation anymore lol