New from Long Beach

GoldenMotor.com

mikecola

Aug 27, 2009
Long Beach, Calif.
Been lurking a while and just realised I hadn't done the intro thing. (I get this and the other site mixed up from time to time). Been wanting a motorized bicycle for a number of years but never got to it until my 15 year old son beat me to the punch and bought a Raw motor kit. It's been a learning experience, lots of pedaling with no action, a few sheared off studs etc, but it is now progressing. We have it running somewhat safely, but it need lights and more braking power. Springer front end in the works too. My son wanted to put the motor in his 1963 24 inch Schwinn Typhoon. I had salvaged that bike before he was born with the idea that I may have kids one day. He's gotten a lot of use out of it, but it's too small for comfortable pedaling now. He feels it looks better as the motor really fills the frame. I agree. As the frame had lots of "Patina" he's opted to scrounge vintage parts when he can to match the wear on the original frame.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome Mike to the forum, glad you joined us.

Glad you and your son have found something you both can enjoy and spend time doing.

.wee.

mikecola

Aug 27, 2009
Long Beach, Calif.
Thanks for the welcome. Here are two photos of our project. One is with the springer mocked up and engine not mounted. Need better hardware and the axle slot welded up on that fork before putting it to use. The other is the bike with the first motor mounting arraingement.

Attachments

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
Welcome Mikecola, If your MBs are ready, we're havin a huge MB {20 + peeps} ride next saturday- meeting by the L.A zoo area. You guys are more than welcome to join us. It's posted in the "Events" thread under L.A. March 27th ride.

mikecola

Aug 27, 2009
Long Beach, Calif.
Longhair,
Thanks for the invite, have been lurking for a little while so I have seen some of the posts about the Griffith Park rides etc. Sounds like a lot of fun. We won't be ready quite yet. By time we get my son's bike dialed in and him an M2 and then myself a bike road worthy it'll probably be summertime. Then we'll hopefully join up on one of your rides. Thanks again.
-- Mike