Starting another build

GoldenMotor.com

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I just got a reasonable deal on a 7spd Schwinn cruiser and ordered a four stroke kit from Gasbike. The under two hundred dollars for a four stroke kit was too much to resist. I've got 50 miles on the two cycle build now, trouble free so far after the initial wheel lock up. I'm hoping the new engine will show up in a few days and I can get this bike running to play with while I tear down the original build for painting and dressing up a bit.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
ordered a four stroke kit from Gasbike. The under two hundred dollars for a four stroke kit was too much to resist.
i hear ya barkin', big dog. i jumped on that same deal. with a quickness.

i havent installed it yet,
but here's a thread re: the gearbox that will be coming with the motor---> http://motorbicycling.com/f37/4stroke-gearbox-chain-drive-i-need-14504.html
i think i'm going to run it for 100 miles or so, then inspect the chain again, to see how much it has stretched, to see if its going to require some attn or not.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I haven't seen the engine yet but in your pictures it looks like it would be possible to fit a plastic timing chain tensioner shoe into the case. With one end toward the driven sprocket hinged and a coil spring located somewhere near the center of the shoe to hold it lightly against the chain. Alternatively one could hinge the shoe and have a locked screw mounted through the edge of the case which would adjust the slack by pushing up on the shoe. You really don't need much pressure, just enough to keep the chain from slapping. Systems like that are in lots of auto engines to control the slack in timing chains.