Friction motor on hills

GoldenMotor.com

mifletz

Aug 25, 2009
israel
Can a friction motor cope with a steep hill?

If you wanted a friction motor for short distance steepish hills, which one would you recommend?

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
I love my staton-inc. I highly recommened the subaru with the 1" roller. You will have to help it up steep hills but its no big deal. Great unit! They are $399.00 with shipping on ebay.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
What is a "steep hill"?

I had a Bike Bug (70's friction drive) and it didn't have a lot of power, but it never slipped, even when I ran it in wet grass then on the pavement.

I would think a lot of it would depend on total weight and percentage of grade.

Does the Staton-Inc. drive ever slip?

mifletz

Aug 25, 2009
israel
What's the reputation of this Subaru supplier?
BICYCLE MOTOR FRICTION DRIVE KIT Subaru Robin 33.5 cc 1.60 hp FOUR STROKE engine Complete kit - CycleHappy

They don't seem to give their phone number.

Is there any practical difference between their 7/8" and 1" roller for hills?

I love my staton-inc. I highly recommened the subaru with the 1" roller. You will have to help it up steep hills but its no big deal. Great unit! They are $399.00 with shipping on ebay.

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Mif you might want to consider getting a titan 50cc motor with a friction kit. It will cost a lil more but its worth the extra power or the mits 43cc.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Can a friction motor cope with a steep hill?

If you wanted a friction motor for short distance steepish hills, which one would you recommend?
My 43cc Dimension Edge 43cc had no problem with hills. Poor mounting and wooden drive wheel was bug hassle though. And note that friction bikes go nowhere if the road is even slighty wet.