new intro from NEPA

GoldenMotor.com

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
I have been getting so many many ideas from this site , that I felt it was time to say hello and make an intro before I posted any where else first.

I accidentally was googling for "bicycles with motors" and my first site was bikeberry and I have been hooked on these projects ever since that day (about a month now) LOL

Well i ordered a nice 80 cc kit from them and was as excited as a 5 year old at Christmas when the package arrived. After I opened it though and looked at the "directions" which were no more than a parts list :-|| I about thought i was threw trying to figure this motor kit out. But I am very mechanically inclined and also a professional welder so i knew if I could not mount it I would weld that sucker into place !!

But I went back inside to my old friend Google and found a few video tutorials and then I located this site in the process, and my life has been made complete to realize there are so many like minded adults who like to build Motor bikes. I never knew this r.ly. as i thought motors and bicycles never went together *silly thinking i know* and to be honest since I was a boy and had a paper route I have always dreamed of marring a motor with a bicycle !! Im so impressed of the amount of MB knowledge there is here and elsewhere on the web.

Thanks for reading my intro, I hope to become a biigger part of Motor Biking in the future, My 2nd motor is on the way as the wife needs one now also.

here is a pic of first build 7 hours and alot of tweeking but she works great .shft.

Oops I guess the site requires a few posts before I can show you my ride*sighs* I will wait it out ................I apologize about the other intro, didnt know I had posted a link inside the message also. Admin please delete my other intro

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state

first time the engine started the chain broke, but i got a new link that was the wrong length but made it work by adding link spacers to it

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Wow I feel like i got a horn on my head and everyone is avoiding me like the plague :(

guess I will just say hi to myself *waves and says hi to self*

longjohnsilver

Mar 21, 2009
poconos
I'm in the poconos, what you got looks sweet. I just got my kit and bike and kinda started. I'm trying to work out the coaster brake I have and getting all to work. you are not alone!

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
woot , yay finally someone said hello to me .bf.

My second motor has arrived and when I get home I plan on building another one for the wife.Its kinda boring riding alone.

Yea where we both live , brakes are a must so many hills in the pocono's . thats why I have never really wanted to ride a bike without a motor , way to much of a work out . You any where near Hamlin ?

longjohnsilver

Mar 21, 2009
poconos
Don't know, I'm in Albrightsville, just outside of Jim Thorpe. What kind of sprocket you using for our mountinous terrain? Right now I'm going with the 44tooth that came with the kit, but I'm a big guy and am thinking I'll have to step up to the 48 or even 50 tooth.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Hey! You have one of those cool seats. Are they alot more comfortable?
Tom
the seat is only comfortable with a motor, when you peddle it tends to chaf your thighs . But for just sitting back and letting my motor do the work, then yes it feels good on the ol touche

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us. That is one sweet ride!

dnut
thank you , it was my first build and it surprised me alot by working . hahah I have all ready put over 50 miles on it and it seems to do what it is supposed to do

@LJS, I only have used the sprocket that came with the kit,Im a 200 pounder and it seems to work just fine for me, my one word of advise though is use a straight edge to line up the motor gear and tire sprocket or a good eye balling will suffice, my first ride lasted 10 seconds due to misalignment and it is difficult to locate a master link to fix it in our area. BTW Jim Thorpe is about 35 minutes south of Hamlin

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
hello and welcome to the forum.

Great looking bike what size frame is that? did you have any troubles mounting to the tubes?

Thank you also for the compliment, I first purchased a motor then realized I haven't owned a bicycle in over 20 no wait 26 years (omg). so I went to our cheapest retailer in the area (walmart ) and picked this cheap model up. Only thing I didn't like was the original seat and also the brakes, other than that the bike seems very adequate.

And yes I had trouble mounting my front motor mount to the some what over sized front tube, I have worked with metals all my life so it was just a small matter of using longer bolts and putting a small "tweek" in them so they would fit better. I didn't realize until a day later what that one plate that comes with the kit (the so called mutli bike mount) Or I would have just simply drilled the frame and used that mount.

One other issue is the intake was too long , so i just removed the plastic cover for the air filter and am running it with just the filter for now, and I had to turn the carb off center a bit to make it fit the frame. But I seen a modified intake from one of the forum members here that I will try and just shorten my intake and then use the proper air filter set up .

Oh almost forgot, the frame is a normal 26 inch frame

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Hi welcome,i have the same bike,i got a 48cc dual start starfire II from gasbike $149.
mine started the very first time(i used the pull start).Mine has a rack with tank on back.
that seat looks nice.
This build took me a week.the peddals hit the engine-had to modify peddals.engine didnt fit frame-had to cut notches in frame and drill hole to mount. and remove air filter metal bracket-im just using filter too.and i off centered the carb so the throttle cable would fit.
but i only paid $20 for this roadmaster bike thats is identical to commanders.This bike is not normal 26",its a sport model with slanted downtube and oversized tubing.The engine is a tight fit.

Last edited:

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Hey Dan thanks for the welcome

@Cabin, yea it was a bit of a struggle, but it seems you had more issues with your build than I did on mine. It took me about 7 hours as this was my first build ever. I actually had to go watch youtube videos to understand the sprocket and carb hook ups. The directions I got with my kit from bikeberry was nothing more than a parts list so i just tossed that and wathed the vids.lol

I didnt have to cut any of my frame I just used longer bolts and bent them slightly is all, and yes the carb In mine has the plastic air intake removed also and Im just using the screen filter now. It was not the most easiest of frames to start a build on but it looks like we both got it to work for us ? Post a pic I want to see what yours looks like now.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
My second build, man this hobby is addicting.

Well soon after I made my first bike a neighbor gave me a 21 speed bike and so naturally i had to go bake to bikeberry and order another motor kit, I also ordered a dual kickstand and those nifty front/rear brake handles and kill switch all in one. Its not set up yet as I need more cable to finish the build. It took me only a little under 4 hours to put this together and I successfully drove it about a mile , but many more tweeks need to be done to it.

Enjoy

longjohnsilver

Mar 21, 2009
poconos
yea I finally got mine together, but I'm missing a couple small parts. I'm waiting on my order from Spooky tooth (shouls be here the 7th) than I'm ready to fire it up, probably next week. I'm a bit of a procrastinator, but hey. Have you seen the mini jet motors yet?

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Have you seen the mini jet motors yet?
yes, they are interesting, but im the kinda person that will wait awhile to get one as I never like to be the first one on the block with something new . LOL I will wait till there tested and proven reliable before I put something like that on a bike.fly