Spark plug replacement

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Antiseieze Norm swares by it i do as well. A little dab on the threads to plug works great. Do not want it on the electrode. A little bit goes a long ways. As Norm said pretty soon you've got the sh^*** all over you!

Last edited:

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
I have a big tub full of anti-seize lubricant!!! Stuff is made by permatex, and yes, just a little will do. I put the stuff on my lawn mower muffler threads and man it makes a lot of white smoke!!! :D

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
You could always use a thread chaser or tap to remove the carbon build up from the head(engine top). carb cleaner can help too.

Last edited:

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
NGK B6HS Burns clean and lasts.....
I'm using the same plug, not really sure what the gap is that it came as, and what it should be set to ? So, I am guess ing it doesn't come already gapped for my 80cc Chinese ?

Mistright1, I am down to the plug the wire or did something go wrong with the gas mixture, while just sitting there, other than the fact the weather has changed a little and I am at sea level, I am running with the stock carb accelerator setting, that I have not changed, but am willing to.

I am still getting loss of power not so much bogging down, but the power isn't where it was. It is like it is missing, or not firing exactly right, this occurs only when in motion and accelerating. Kind of a rough ride like you are riding the RR ties, but not actually that drastic.

Can you give me a gap spec. I should be using ?

The last tank which was I believe my fourth gallon was 30-1 per Kings,

I used Valvoline 2 Cy. Multi-purpose.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Gap @ .020-.024"

Sounds like you are running too rich, try the needle clip up a notch or two. (second from top or top notch).

velardejose

Sep 9, 2008
Lima, Peru
Hi
I installed a B6HS spark plug yesterday night
Stock plug was LD Z8C
Both were gapped at 0.6 mm (0.025'')
First impression: climbed a hill easier than before (needed some pedaling help before)
Today, the engine needed more time to get hot
Then I had to adjust the idle screw more than a full turn to keep the engine running
Seems to run better at high revs, but that could be sujective
Peace
PD Insulator nose length was shorter in stock plug, but b6hs seems cooler (???)

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
Anyone ever mess with Briggs and Straton plugs? i saw a iridium tipped one yesterday in Northern Tool. Its gold and has a pointy center tip. Iridium

Also saw a Bosch plu2 2 platium but didnt no if I would have clearance issues with it.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Is there a good plug for winter temps, say between 30* down to 0* (F)?

Also, for these colder temps, what's the best way to get my engine warmed up so it will start easier? Can I just heat it up with a blow torch?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hiker, I put an electric blankets the on snow blower b4 a storm. Works great and starts like a summer day. Maybe just a heating pad for a few mins b4 trying to start?

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Many years ago I used to heat up my plug on a single cylinder snowmobile that was a b*tch to start and it did work well but I don't think you should have to do that with your bike.
I used mine all winter last year and I live in a snow belt and it always started just as it did in the summer. Are you sure your choke is working well?
I used to keep mine in my front porch but still.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Many years ago I used to heat up my plug on a single cylinder snowmobile that was a b*tch to start and it did work well but I don't think you should have to do that with your bike.
I used mine all winter last year and I live in a snow belt and it always started just as it did in the summer. Are you sure your choke is working well?
I used to keep mine in my front porch but still.
My choke is working fine as far as I know. I was using a Champion plug in it and the next day I pulled it out and checked the spark in comparison to the stock one and saw that it didn't have the fire as the stock one did, so I put the stock one back in. It still wanted to be a stubborn starter, but it did start better. Before I started it the next day, I put a little heat to the engine block and that thing fired right up like nobody's business.

It's quite possible that your engine was checked at Quality Control, whereas mine slid trhough at quittin' time! :D

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
As far as a cold weather running I changed my b6hs out to a b5hs one step warmer but I was careful that my my jetting was rich enough at 0C or 32F. I also checked the plug and put a light at the cylinder head to check the piston crown after 40 or 60 km and everything is running a nice tan color instead of partially black which was indicative of a colder plug temperature.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Is there a good plug for winter temps, say between 30* down to 0* (F)?

Also, for these colder temps, what's the best way to get my engine warmed up so it will start easier? Can I just heat it up with a blow torch?
There is really no need to change your plug for cold weather. If you are planning on running the bike in really cold weather, you should concider wrapping the cylinder, but not the head, in screen. I'm talking temps below freezing.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
PS- DON'T heat your engine with any kind of torch unless you want to blow youself up or set your self/bike/house/shed/garage on fire.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Hiker, do you have a 2 or a 4 stroker?
2 stroke Happy Times "80cc", made in China & re-engineered by everyone else rotfl

The day it started right up must have been a fluke because it's taking 5-7 pulls instead of only two now. If I was at home, I'd have it in my livingroom next to my woodstove, but it has to stay in the ice cold garage here. I wonder if the humidity in the air has something to do with it. The day it started right up it was around 30* with high pressure and since then it hasn't.

When I finish shoveling out the driveway, I'm going to go and find a hotter plug for it.